Triple plate handlebar mounting geometry ?

I'm not sure if this matters, or if I would notice the difference, but I was just drawing up the triple plate design for my fat tire bike and got to wondering... If the triple plates have offset built in (the fork tubes forward of the pivot point) should the handle bars be mounted in line with the pivot point or the fork tubes?

I'm sort of thinking it won't make much difference, other than handlebar position, but maybe I'm missing something.

You can mount the handle bars anywhere you want. If you have already computed your trail while working the geometry, then any changes you make to fork tube offset from pivot point, (stem) will definitely change geometry. Obviously handlebar mounting doesn't affect any of that.

Click here for a good explanation of the changes.

As long as you keep positive trail in the geometry, you're good to go.

Trail1.jpg

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, trail has been calculated and the offset in the triple plate ended up being only half an inch , with some in the forks as well. Was curious about handlebar mounting because some bikes have more offset in the triple plates.

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, trail has been calculated and the offset in the triple plate ended up being only half an inch , with some in the forks as well. Was curious about handlebar mounting because some bikes have more offset in the triple plates.
Cool. You're on it. Screw handlebar mounting....sit on it when it's on suspension and rolling stock, and mark it where you need them. :thumbsup: I am enjoying watching your build.

Cool. You're on it. Screw handlebar mounting....sit on it when it's on suspension and rolling stock, and mark it where you need them. :thumbsup: I am enjoying watching your build.
I actually didn't end up with much leeway on where the bars would mount, with the wide bottom on the risers, and the fairly narrow center section on the bars.... they just sort of went where they had to go :laugh: