Tube Bending

Yellowhand, how well do those engines run as free-airs. Do you have any heat issues with them?

No, but I don't leave them running for more than a few minutes if the bike is sitting still...and I wouldn't put one in a kart if the seat blocked the air flow.

Here's another GC with a bunch of hours on it...the fins on the flywheel do keep exhaust heat from melting the recoil starter.

No heat issues...but I don't leave them running for very long while stationary.

This GC has a bunch of hours on it...I also ride the Yellowjacket quite a bit...both bikes have 50"+ wheelbases, so they're extremely comfortable to ride.

Here is some good tips for pipe bending........

http://www.youtube.com/v/GWT3N3m4bE4

I tried to find the thread and can't. Someone worked with the HF pipe bender and got tubing to bent without kinks and sand. Yes I said tubing, not pipe! If I remember right they took a piece of larger pipe cut in half and placed over the dies. This way the force was displaced better. I have heard of also using old cut-up welding gloves instead.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm a proud owner of one of the most precise tube benders this side of the Yangtze River courtesy of the fine folks at Harbor Freight.

I stopped at the local scrap yard and was SOL. It appears that with the cost of steel rising by the minute, the once lowly junk dealer has now become a unionized "metalurgist" with bankers hours to match. The scrap yard is open from 8:30 to 4:30 daily with some Saturday hours (which were posted on the door but illegible). Anyhow, I plan on purchasing some longer length tubing and taking a stab at creating a MB.
I plan on using a 12 tooth jackshaft sprocket and a 40 tooth rear sprocket with a TAV30 and modified 6.5 Clone spinning the whole works.

Are you gonna do a project thread?

I love reading those...and they're even better with some accompanying pics...

I played with my HF bender a little today...discovered some good points, and some bad ones as well...

Check out my new project thread...'Plum Crazy & Half-Twisted'...

I have some nice little 1 inch .095 wall 4130 chrome moly tubing you can play around with on your bender only about $8.00 or $9.00 per foot . LOL .
Anything in metal is way over the top now with #2 scrap steel going for about $250.00 a ton the picking is not as easy so stock up when you find a good supply.
Steve :scooter: