Tuning a diaphragm carb on an HS40

Yep, I dialed it in to spec using a Tecumseh dial indicator. The marks on the stater even matched up the old marks, so I'm confident it's right. Since I rebuilt the engine, I know the cam shaft is correct as well.

I think the first time I pulled the flywheel I might not have put it back on tight enough.

Make sure you use a torque wrench and follow Tecumseh specs for that engine.
Michael

capguncowboy

Yep, I dialed it in to spec using a Tecumseh dial indicator. The marks on the stater even matched up the old marks, so I'm confident it's right. Since I rebuilt the engine, I know the cam shaft is correct as well.

I think the first time I pulled the flywheel I might not have put it back on tight enough.

Make sure you use a torque wrench and follow Tecumseh specs for that engine.
Michael
Looking at the manual, it looks like the specified torque is 450 inch lbs. I also finally located the info on the carb (which I'm confident is no longer an issue).

Hey Andrew, this is just a shot in the dark, but I've heard from numerous Tecumseh guru's that the compression release on those cams is notorious for being troublesome. I was wondering if you checked the valve lash while it was apart? If the lash is off and the compression release was having issues, that could be your trouble.

capguncowboy

Hey Andrew, this is just a shot in the dark, but I've heard from numerous Tecumseh guru's that the compression release on those cams is notorious for being troublesome. I was wondering if you checked the valve lash while it was apart? If the lash is off and the compression release was having issues, that could be your trouble.
I'm not sure what you mean by lash, but I installed new valves, lapped them, then gapped them to spec.

Valve clearance = valve lash. I figured you did but was just checking. It really sounds like an ignition issue to me. I've had a few with bad coils act this way. Didn't find it till I ran it with a spark tester installed.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Last edited:

MB165

it wouldn't hurt to double check the point gap, i have had a few incorrectly set the first time around, all they would do was idle, as soon as the throttle was opened even a tiny bit, it would die like someone hit the stop switch. turns out they were at like .024, not much but it made a huge difference. thats a tecumseh for ya:laugh:

Last edited:

capguncowboy

The new flywheel keys will be here tomorrow.

I took a look at the flywheel nut today. The flywheel doesn't look like it's back as far as it'll go. I think the first time I pulled it to check the points, I didn't put it back on tight enough and it bent something when it sheared the key. It would explain why I can't seem to get it tight enough now to keep it from sheering the keys now.

I'm going to lap the flywheel/crank with grinding compound in the morning. Hopefully, that'll help the flywheel seat correctly. I don't want to remove the head and oil breather unless I absolutely have to.

The paint job is already starting to look like shit from removing the three shroud bolts so many times. It's starting to flake around the head bolt holes. That's my fault for not going through everything before I painted it. I got excited and jumped the gun. Now I'm paying for it.

Andrew...you might need to file the new key a little...just to make sure the flywheel does go on far enough. Check it with a flashlight before you Install the nut.

capguncowboy

Andrew...you might need to file the new key a little...just to make sure the flywheel does go on far enough. Check it with a flashlight before you Install the nut.
Thanks for the tip. If this doesn't fix the problem, I really might take it to a local shop to have them look at it. Hopefully they can get to it quickly so I can get that thing on the road this weekend.

capguncowboy

The engine is running like a champ. Some advice for you guys: Don't put your flywheel keys in backwards :doah:

I had spent about 20 minutes laboring on lapping the crank and flywheel with grinding compound before I thought about looking at the original photo of the stater plate. I noticed the flywheel key was facing opposite of what I had it at. Once I flipped that around, the flywheel slid right on and bolted up just fine. It started on the first tug.

I'm a little angry with myself, but glad that I figured it out before I took it somewhere and had them look at it.

There is also an issue with the kill switch, but I'm not sure what's going on with it. The bike won't run if the ground on the wiring harness is connected. I'm going to order a new switch for it and see if that fixes the problem.

If it is one of the 5.00 kill switches from OldMiniBikes, I had 2 of those that was bad. Talk about pulling your hair out.:laugh: Love ya OldMiniBikes:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

It wasn't Karen. It was the original 1970 Rupp switch. I just ordered a new one from BWMS. It should be here one day next week. I could probably fix the one that's on it right now, but the chrome is shot anyway. A swap is just easier