Vintage Mini Bike Guide Scans

In the spirit of the Holiday Season - and if time permits - I plan to scan and post the entire 27 page 1969 MBG Christmas Buyers Guide for you guys. It contains many of the well known brands, but also has some real obscure bikes that some of you may enjoy revisiting (or seeing for the first time).

Here are a few "test" scans to make sure this works. One is the April 1970 cover of MBG - included because of that sweet photo of a Slingshot (the MM5A and Cyclops aren't bad either) - followed by a few ads (Cat, Keystone, Arco). The Arco ad is really "pink" and black - this is not a scanning artifact !

Enjoy !!

Resto

Thanks, KK. My scanner works very well. The difficulty is making sure that these old mags don't tear or get disfigured in the process. It's definitely a time-consuming task. I have 12 of the 27 pages of the Christmas Buyers Guide scanned and saved. I will make sure that I get to the rest of it and get it posted before Christmas gets here.

I figured that either you or derekbmn would be one the first to comment since I included some "Cat stuff" on these trial scans.

.....that's always a concern when scanning old books and mags...don't want to damage the spine or loosen the staples....a lot of times the light of the scanner is too bright and you can "see through" the page ....but your scans look perfect!!

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the kind comments, guys.

Due to some time off for the holiday, I had an opportunity to dig into the archives - and thought I would share some of it with the OldMiniBikes community.

Here's one for the Powell loyalists

Coming up........on a new thread......is the complete April 1970 MBG test of the Cat Slingshot.

I know there is a fierce group of Cat-Lovers on this site (me being one of them) - and since there has been quite a bit of discussion about this bike over the years......I'm serving it up as a sweet Thanksgiving dessert.:biggrin:

Hope all of you (and your families) are having an awesome day.

Resto

Nice :thumbsup: Unfortunately thats one of the few complete issues i already have. :laugh: I might scan some of my mags too. atleast some more of the tests and articles

Fire 'em up, Jeep. I'd like to see as much stuff as possible posted on this forum

I always enjoy reading old MBG and Popular Cycling magazines. Unfortunately, I only have a few of the MBG issues......but a ton of MiniCycle (the mag that MBG morphed into). Most of the MiniCycle content may not be of as much interest to forum members, but I have tons of stuff on Yamaha Mini Enduro, Honda SL70, Honda XR75, all the Hodaka/Fuji-powered machines, etc.

I would really enjoy seeing some of your scans !

Nice work, Resto! Wow, love that Powell Challenger! Got anything with MTD/Columbia, Terra (mine is a TM-950), or the Sears 'puddlejumper'? Seein' these old ads are great reference materials, we appreciate you postin' them!

Last edited:
wildbill, I have not found anything yet.

My MBG content is somewhat limited. Most of my stuff is from MiniCycle. At some point in 1972, MBG changed to MiniCycle. I will look through those to see if I can assist you.

i started uploading some reviews in the respective areas of the photo gallery . did taco 100 , cat slingshot and alexander reynolds colt and a few others. I also inquired with hent to designate a section of the photo gallery for the old magazine articles. I uploaded one from the salt flats, desert scrambles and pikes peak hill climbs and will post them there when it becomes available

i started uploading some reviews in the respective areas of the photo gallery . did taco 100 , cat slingshot and alexander reynolds colt and a few others. I also inquired with hent to designate a section of the photo gallery for the old magazine articles. I uploaded one from the salt flats, desert scrambles and pikes peak hill climbs and will post them there when it becomes available
Hey jeep Im so glad I read your post. I just picked up one of those ARCO Colts that you show in that test article. I never knew that article was there til now. Thanks a bunch for posting. Now I know that the seat is original as well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
cool :) I just uploaded a big article on the heald vt-7 and will be uploading one on the arctic cat prowler and ramrod as well as the benelli dynamo :thumbsup: