West bend 108 engine

Hi gang,

My name is Chip Quinn, and I have been a member here for about two years but have yet to post until today. I started building mini bikes and go karts here in Phoenix about 4 years ago, mostly with common Briggs engines that I have played with a bit since childhood, so I haven't really needed to bug anybody for help.

This morning I was out at the Phoenix fairgrounds swap and ran across an old two stroke on a table, and got such a good price for it I just couldn't pass it up. I'm pretty sure after some research that it is a West Bend, but the only number I can find is 108 as the first three digits of the engine number. Does anybody know of a good websight that has plenty of pictures dedicated to the West Bend products so I can identify what I have? I've found lots of mention on 580s and 780s I believe, but I think this is a bit earlier and info seems a bit fuzzy.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Thank you much, Chip Quinn "need louvers"

I can't find any sort of brand name on it anywhere, not even casting marks. It does have an engine I.D. tag with the number 108883 but no manufacturer name. On a hunch I googled west bend 108 and got to a vintage chain saw sight (No idea there was such a thing!) and it gave facts and figures on that model number but the pictures were of a chain saw. It sure looks West Bend-ish though. Any other ideas?

Sure looks like a Tecumseh to me but cant find it in the master parts manual.And by the design of the throtle and air intake looks like a snow service engine.Are there any numbers on the carb?And what is the decal or whatever it is in the second picture below the carb?

Scott

Last edited:
Would you believe .875" ? Awfully odd size... Been lookin' a bit more on here the last hour or so and it looks a bit like a Clinton E-65 rh too. I know nothing about 2 stroke stuff, but I am trainable!

Figured it out it is a jacobsen 321 2 stroke engine with a tecumseh recoil starter.

Scott

Cool! Thank you! I have never heard anything about Jacobsen though. Was there ever any mini bike or go kart applications with this one? It looks so damn similar to the west bend and E-65 Clintons that I have been looking at over the last day or so, makes me wonder if there is any performance applications or interchange with the others.

Sure looks like a Tecumseh to me but cant find it in the master parts manual.And by the design of the throtle and air intake looks like a snow service engine.Are there any numbers on the carb?And what is the decal or whatever it is in the second picture below the carb?

Scott
That's the id tag with the number I quoted earlier.

They never put one on a minibike, but they are very good motors.. They are most like the Clinton 2 cycle engines.. Cumminsbayou will be building a bike with this one here any time..