What do you guys drive in real life?

I don't know why it took me so long to find this Thread, I love cars and trucks. I also love to show and tell, and I realize this is going to make me look like a very wasteful person, I tend to be that way with cars. My wife and I both drive Range Rovers as our daily drives; mind is a 2010 Super Charged and hers is a 2012 non super. Great trucks for daily driving.

We also have a 2008 H2 SUT. I've customized it quite a bit; Vision X LED lighting, SAT TV, winch, Gobi racks, ect. This truck only has 31,000 miles on it. It also pulled David's F250 out of a snowy ditch a couple of Christmas' ago. I've got pics. We use it mostly to travel. I am taking it to Windber this year.

In recent years I've gotten into Sports Cars, my current toy is a 2012 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS. I posted a pic of the day it was delivered, that was a good day. It's a fairly quick car, 0-60, 3.9 s, dual clutch, paddle shifting 7 speed trans.

Now, I love cars and customizing them. I've posted a few more pics of several cars my wife Tammy and I have owned over the last few years. Her favorite is the yellow Beetle, named Daisy, go figure. She has also had 6 more Beetles during the last 5 yrs, she had trouble with selecting a color. My favorite was the 2009 Ferrari F430 Spider. an amazing car that I should not have sold. I sold it about a year ago thinking i could afford a 458 Spider, bad idea, I can't. I only put 2864 mies on the car the whole time i owned it, great car. Another great SUV was the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, very fast. It had 550 HP and 551 lbs/tq. I got pulled at 100 coming home from the Richmond NASCAR race a couple of years ago at 12:01AM, not good. Nice SUV, but small inside. Well, here they are:

nice cars I drive an 01 tacoma prerunner

65ShelbyClone

I drive an 01 tacoma prerunner
AKA Toyota's phony 4X4. :laugh:

Don't take it as an insult; I drive one too and it's a year older than yours. :doah: It sucks big time offroad, but it has a lot more guts than the '94 2.4L pickup it replaced and since it's an Xtra Cab, it's fairly comfortable.

'94 Toyota corolla, 187k easy miles :wink: he told me it needed a new power steering pump and the A/C hasn't worked for about 4 years, he told me I could have it for $100. So I pulled out a Benjamin yesterday and pulled it next door to my house.

Sucka's Pimp!

So I checked out the PS it has new belts on it. PS belt was loose, becuase whoever he had do the work left the bottom pivot bolt loose and it fell out. fixed that with a long bolt that was actually in my mini bike parts stash :thumbsup:
I don't know why, but I kinda like those Corollas. I had a '96 1.6L 5-speed for about six months and it got great economy and was reasonably fun and peppy, but the ergonomics are absolutely awful for my 6'4" frame. That was about the time my left knee started getting crunchy, come to think of it.

Mine also lost one of the PS pump bolts. It was the shorter 10 or 12mm fine pitch one on the adjusting slot IIRC. The pivot bolt was so tight the pump didn't move, though. :eek:

You would be surprised the stuff I have been through in it. I have driven over a 3 foot wide gap that came after it rained on one of my usual trails I still can believe I made it :pimp: . Trophy trucks aka prerunners are 2 wheel drive all i need is some lockers

The impressions a car can make in our youth last a lifetime,,doesn't it ? My brother drove a '68 Cutlass Supreme & my sisters boyfriend a '69 442 4spd conv. They were my dream cars. I bought mine in '77 at 16 and had to make $63.00 payments for a year !! She was worth every penny and will be with me till the end :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your memories
I haven't even begun to tell the stories LOL

A few memories:

There's 2 pics of the car that I love. One is me sitting in the driver's seat at probably less than a year old, and there's a pic of it sitting on the military base next to the amphibious carrier that my father was a sergeant on

His stories of all the guys on base buying musclecars and having burnout competitions on the base. Nothing touched his Olds in burnout competitions. I do remember him stating that having owned 2 of them, the 4 speed one had a lot of special equipment that was stronger than the auto version like axles, etc. That engine ended up in my dad's '49 Dodge pickup, then went to my uncle, then my cousin who ended up pulling the 400 out of the Dodge and put it in a '66 Chevelle

I remember his old buddies telling stories of my dad being a crazy driver and doing burnouts everywhere he went in the 4 speed car and supposedly hit 2nd gear preety hard going over an overpass and one of the buddies in the back seat had a bottle cap fly off his drink

A couple strange things...I can distinctly remember laying in the front floorboard while my mom would be driving, hiding up under the dash, etc.... and I can remember chewing on the head rests while waiting for my parent sin a store, etc.

Of course who can forget driving down the road in the 70s with all the windows up and all the adults smoking cigarettes LOL

zeeman

I don't drive anything real exciting like some of you. Here's what's in the stable: 2009 Family Camry, 1981 Volvo 244, 1998 Volvo V70, 1999 Germ See Sierra, 2006 Harley Street Bob.

Do you know the production on 68 vs 69? Seems like I see 3 69s to every 68...
It sure seems that way. Back when I first built that car (17 years ago) there were almost no repro parts available, and the NOS stuff was either hard to find or just priced out of this world. It took a long time scouring junkyards and swap meets to get that thing together. Now there are so many repro parts out there, all a guy has to do is make a phone call or order online...

markus

AKA Toyota's phony 4X4. :laugh:

Don't take it as an insult; I drive one too and it's a year older than yours. :doah: It sucks big time offroad, but it has a lot more guts than the '94 2.4L pickup it replaced and since it's an Xtra Cab, it's fairly comfortable.

I don't know why, but I kinda like those Corollas. I had a '96 1.6L 5-speed for about six months and it got great economy and was reasonably fun and peppy, but the ergonomics are absolutely awful for my 6'4" frame. That was about the time my left knee started getting crunchy, come to think of it.

Mine also lost one of the PS pump bolts. It was the shorter 10 or 12mm fine pitch one on the adjusting slot IIRC. The pivot bolt was so tight the pump didn't move, though. :eek:
Yea I this was the best version they made in the '90s far as corollas were concerned. I spent the week cleaning it, I listed it last night on craigs and just sold it this morning, made a quick $900 on it :thumbsup: I would have liked to keep it for when I go back to work, but I'll just hunt for a commuter car when that time comes.

Working out good too because the other neighbors watched me tear the car apart to fix and clean it etc. the last few days, and there all coming over asking me to work on their cars :thumbsup: soon as the 'yota left this morning I pulled a '98 regal from across the street over and am working on the a/c and putting new window regulators in it!

65ShelbyClone

Props to you for getting the side business. I hate working on cars, even for money. :laugh: I don't hate it as much as paying an overpriced mechanic to screw up the job, though, and that's why I still do it.

I need to do rear brakes and service at least one of the axles in my truck right now. Toyota made sure it can't be done without special tools and having to open the brake system, too. :censure:

markus

Props to you for getting the side business. I hate working on cars, even for money. :laugh: I don't hate it as much as paying an overpriced mechanic to screw up the job, though, and that's why I still do it.

I need to do rear brakes and service at least one of the axles in my truck right now. Toyota made sure it can't be done without special tools and having to open the brake system, too. :censure:
yea you need that special service tool to do the axles on the press, I avoided them like the plague when I was at the dealership, I managed to dodge having to one for 3 years, only going over to lend a hand when someone else got stuck with it :smile:. We managed to do one without the tool one night when we found ours had mysteriously disappeared.....with a tech that was fired, It was not pretty but we got it.

I drive a 2005 VW jetta wagon witht he TDI turbo diesel.

First and only new car I ever owned.

Probably the last one too the way things are now lol.
But over all I have no complaints.

Its cheap to run and never gave me any issues outside of the initial new car teething troubles covered under warranty.

I hate cars.

I wish there was a light rail system that stopped on my street and wisked me away to work in the morning while a sipped my morning coffee and read the paper.

Owning a car is an awful lot of money for insurance and fuel.
And for what....
So it can sit 23 hours a day and do nothing.
Except quietly rust and depreciate I guess.

I even considered an E bike ( with some tweeking for the warmer months that is ).

Maybe the future car I buy is one of those electrics like the Tesla if the price comes down a bit more.
But like the mechanic that hates to service a car I doubt I would be any more interested fixing an electric car.....

This was 910 Kiruna manufactured by Gia-Kiruna in the 1990s.
The very first electric anything I ever worked on.
I thought it was a great idea!

Then I had to work on it lol.
MILES AND MILES or wires and things to this day I still dont understand fully ( because all the prints were in swedish and I stopped caring to learn ).
Designed by inmates of a Swedish mad house high above the arctic circle.

To this day I think if the future is electric I hope I never have to fix it.
101 5709 - YouTube

65ShelbyClone

yea you need that special service tool to do the axles on the press, I avoided them like the plague when I was at the dealership, I managed to dodge having to one for 3 years, only going over to lend a hand when someone else got stuck with it :smile:. We managed to do one without the tool one night when we found ours had mysteriously disappeared.....with a tech that was fired, It was not pretty but we got it.
The local shop I used last time (for my previous Toyota) gets $45/ea to install new bearings & seals when I supply the parts. Some people cut up old axle housings to make their own SST and some just slam the axle down on a piece of wood and the bearing eventually comes off.

Plasti-Dipped the wheels and emblems on the AMG. It's for sale if anyone local is interested (for financial reasons only, I want to keep it). I'm asking $10,000. It's fast and comfortable, you know you want it in your garage.

Last edited:
Here's my current collection of 4-wheeled friends...

Left-to-Right: 1970 Austin Cooper S MkII; 2006 BMW 525i and 2005 Mini Cooper S; 2003 Chevy 2500 Duramax. The white 2002 2500 is my Son's.

Last edited: