What is This?

20150318_104956[1].jpg
I bought this as a project for me and my 13yr old son. HELP!! It needs everything and I don't know where to start. I need to know what it is to find an engine. I don't know if it is best to buy a new engine or try to rebuild an old one. the tires are badly sun damaged. the wheels are rusted and won't hold a seal. Pretty much all I can do until I know more about this bike is sand off the rust and get the frame painted. Please help

I came "this" close to buying that when jeep had it ... I ended up with the Hilltopper but that Sears Beast would have been a winner to!
Love the color!

Thank you. I guess that is presenting part of my problem. nobody I call knows anything about this old bike or where to get parts.
You could get the decals, pin stripe, and seat reproduced. The engine was a Sears craftsman, 5hp I think and you should be able to find one of those. The fenders and chain guards are harder to find.

I have the original fenders. Am I going to be able to find wheels and tires for this thing. I was not planning on doing a restoration project. I just saw it at a salvage yard and paid the guy $40 bucks for it. I am having second thoughts. I have the time and resources to do this thing right with my son. but I don't want to hit one dead end after another looking for nuts and bolts that fit.

For a first bike, it's a bit on the complicated side. Might be hard to locate parts to restore it. On the other hand, you could keep it simple, make it a basic rider with a cheap OHV engine, bearings, spray paint, and have a blast with your son. Here is the parts breakdown from Sears.

Thank you.

CarPlayLB

Don't kill yourself trying to find the parts, just get it together and have fun with it. During the fun times you can start searching for the parts and restore it when you are ready. at that point your son will be invested in it and it is easier for him to be patient during a restoration. Have fun. Cool bike!

Don't kill yourself trying to find the parts, just get it together and have fun with it. During the fun times you can start searching for the parts and restore it when you are ready. at that point your son will be invested in it and it is easier for him to be patient during a restoration. Have fun. Cool bike!
great idea thank you

Your going to have to get another bike anyway lol
So why not look for a cheap Doodle bug as a rider for your son while you can restore your bike

I have the original fenders. Am I going to be able to find wheels and tires for this thing. I was not planning on doing a restoration project. I just saw it at a salvage yard and paid the guy $40 bucks for it. I am having second thoughts. I have the time and resources to do this thing right with my son. but I don't want to hit one dead end after another looking for nuts and bolts that fit.
Hello Over My Head...

All the old ones unless complete, have their challenges for parts. If you look around, you'll be able to source them.

Like was suggested above, it can start out as a great rider....then over time...as you find more sources, you can pick up more original type parts as you go along...then before you know it, it will be closer to what you are wanting.

Plus if you are like the rest of us :shrug: with all the looking, you'll end up finding and buying more mini bikes that are closer to complete ! :laugh:

Have fun !

Last edited:

buckeye

Welcome fellow Alabamian!!

I agree with the posts that mention, get it together as well as you can.
All of that ugly stuff will clean up.
You can replace your bearings in the wheels.
For now, I would think about throwing a clone on it.
You can find a correct engine while enjoying riding it.

Long process but, well worth it.
Head on down this way in April and hang out with a bunch of other mini bike crazies.
April 11th in Loxley. Just a short 4 hour drive for ya. And for a bonus, you can put your toes in the sand.
Need any help, just ask. Plenty of help on here.

Put a ad Here on wanted to buy - Tecumseh 4-5 hp flathead motor in good running condition. im sure some guys here will sell you one.
thank you. I am going to try to bring my son down to that mini bike show do you have any more details about it. thank you everybody for all your help you're probably going to get sick of me.