When schilling a bid doesn't work

Not 100% feedback. That is not the 100% he is talking about. He means that of all the auctions a particular bidder bid on the 100% were with that seller. Meaning that if I bid on 5 peoples auctions and One of those auctions you were the seller then I would have a 20% bidder rating with you. 1/5 of the auctions I bid on = 20%...
So the only auctions that person bid on were 100% from that one seller.

Not 100% feedback. That is not the 100% he is talking about. He means that of all the auctions a particular bidder bid on the 100% were with that seller. Meaning that if I bid on 5 peoples auctions and One of those auctions you were the seller then I would have a 20% bidder rating with you. 1/5 of the auctions I bid on = 20%...
That's how it looked to me.

MikeBear

But the high bidder has never bid on any other sellers auctions, EVER......

Duh.....:doah:
Cheezy, seriously, I am not trying to be combative. I did NOT get what (how) you were claiming this auction was showing shill bidding. I did NOT get that the bidder has only bid on the sellers auctions, ever.

Why didn't you simply say that like the others did? I take my Ebay rep as a seller and buyer very seriously. Just saying there's shill bidding going on is serious business to a seller. IF he's guilty, I got the rope. If he's not, you can ruin a guy just saying he is. I would hate for anybody to say I was doing that, so I simply wanted and explanation as it really interests me.

Still friends? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how to find that info or I'd use it often. I bid on knives a lot but do not win and then see the damn things back for sale with the seller claiming non payment being the reason for re-listing.

Were this my Powerdyne I'd yank that kick start off and sell it alone then replace the recoil and sell the bike, but that's the profiteer in me talking.

Last edited:

MikeBear

I'm not sure how to find that info or I'd use it often. I bid on knives a lot but do not win and then see the damn things back for sale with the seller claiming non payment being the reason for re-listing.
Ok, now that others have pointed it out, I figured it out. Go to the auction Cheezy listed in the first posting. Click on the bidder count, so it goes to the page that shows the bidders. Yes, the bidders id's are masked, but you can click on the masked name, and it takes you to a history page that shows their 30 day summary of bids.

You'll notice that it shows that the bidders have only bid 100% of the time on this particular sellers items.

Now, that doesn't mean that a guy with feedback of say 316 over 14 years has only bid on a single guys auctions, EVER. It only shows 30 days of history, so it's possible that during the last 30 days that bidder was only interested in 1 or 2 things, and they just happen to all be items that one seller is selling...

That still doesn't prove shill bidding, though I guess it could be an indicator of maybe. Now if the history Ebay shows was much longer than 30 days, and the guy had only ever bid on his auctions, that would be a lot more proof and would make me steer clear of that guys auctions

Cheezy, seriously, I am not trying to be combative. I did NOT get what (how) you were claiming this auction was showing shill bidding. I did NOT get that the bidder has only bid on the sellers auctions, ever.

Why didn't you simply say that like the others did? I take my Ebay rep as a seller and buyer very seriously. Just saying there's shill bidding going on is serious business to a seller. IF he's guilty, I got the rope. If he's not, you can ruin a guy just saying he is. I would hate for anybody to say I was doing that, so I simply wanted and explanation as it really interests me.

Still friends? :thumbsup:
We are cool man.....no worries :thumbsup:

Yeah, it took me a little while to see what he was getting at but then I caught up. I also have had very suspicious situations like those mentioned. I will be more aware of that now thanks to you guys.

thanks for posting the How-to on that scene.
after going thru that page,it looks like only 2 of the bidders were schilling,the other 2 looked legit?
i deffo get what cheezy meant,as you can see those 2 have only bid on this guys stuff.
( which is Odd unless they are just schilling it. )

2***m ( 349Feedback score is 100 to 499)
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 9
Items bid on: 3
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%

Bid retractions: 0

1***8 ( 55Feedback score is 50 to 99)
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 2
Items bid on: 2
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%

Bid retractions: 0

also,it looks like the owner of the bike is a member here,whats he thinking bout all this..?

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter. If a person wants to get a minimum for their item they either set a reserve,put it as an opening bid or schill. Sometimes,depending on fee structures paying a final bid fee may be cheaper than a reserve fee. The point is a seller wants what they want and the buyer bids the max it is worth to them... If the seller wants too much and tries to get over the top dollar and the item doesn't sell they tend to lose the same bidders the next time the item is listed. But then you always get new people looking at it. Even a thread like this causes more people to look at the item. And any publicity is good publicity.

How the hell you guys figure out who people are on ebay from OldMiniBikes?
Guess I just trust people.
Second post in this thread was the original listing here.

Seems Cheezy deleted his initial post. I thought it started a good convo and people learned a few things, once the confusion was settled.

capguncowboy

It could be that the bidders are bidding on the bike every time it gets listed. I've done it before, even if the reserve wasn't meet the first time

And here I thought it was all straight shooting on Ebay.:laugh:

I prefer to buy and sell here whenever possible because most members here are straight shooting honest folks who know their stuff. However Ebay has been good to me as a seller and a buyer both, it's mostly the fees that keep me from listing everything there.

As far as shill bidding goes I never have had anyone bid on my behalf and when asked once to bid up an item for a friend I flat out refused.