why are fuel tanks so expensive?

Have you noticed that you can buy a complete 6.5 HP engine for under 100 bucks, but if you want to buy a fuel tank,nothing fancy mind you, perhaps round or even a rectangle for your mini your going to pay 70 plus bucks?
Flebay has rusted out tanks that have sat in the North East winters for the last 50 years for stupid prices as well.
What gives with these prices? There is not much to a tank for a factory to make one,especially in China. Is it just price gouging? Lawyers,Folks paying stupid prices driving up the cost?

capguncowboy

The cylinder tanks can be found for cheap if you look at old rototiller motors. They'll need to be cleaned and sealed but you should do that to most old tanks anyway

ive been looking for gas tanks for awhile now....mostly junk,rotty,rusty,insides look like the dead sea,and the prices are absurd.

my fav listings are,
Great tank,needs nothing!
buyer-question,does it hold gas?
seller -reply gee,i dont know..havent tried..might now but not guaranteeing it to you
the buyer even.

got the same thing here too,put up an ad for a certain tank,no rust.
first guy responds,i got that tank.
its got 3 coats of paint and stickers too..okay,dont care sounds good.
very next line...it has rust inside it......:eek:ut:
like really,whyd you even bother??

depending on your frame style,and build...stock versus custom
try looking around under Moped gas tanks.
some smaller motorcycle tanks are nice as well..

I keep a few stashed back to avoid having to keep watching the prices go up when I do need one, I mainly look under "mower tanks" on Ebay to find the ones that do not mention minibikes and then prices are seldom too high. That's my secret to finding reasonably priced ones, now you know.:thumbsup:

KB2ROCKET

some people can make tanks other people cant
if you ever tried to make a good looking tank you will understand why they cost alot.
as previously stated find tanks that are mounted on old junk equipment because the stuff made for choppers / minibikes / Karts / chromed / tend to cost alot
some folks make them from various cans or gas cylinders ( be careful )
have fun

I have thought about having a batch of round molded plastic tanks made at one of the local plastic companies around here. Would probably need to order at least 1000 for them to make them :shrug:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
New tank.
Well, if you figure out the cost of making a metal stamp for making the tank. An then you'll have a top half an a bottom half. So that's 4 stamps.

Then there is the welding, bung, filler neck, and fuel cap, You will see where the cost is.

An even if you were just getting them made, you would have to get a 1000 or more just to make it cost effective.

Used tank, If I were selling one. I would sell it for what it would cost me to replace it / buy one.

Not the case when I sold the Rupp tank, as I will most likely not need one.
I'm not the guy that will have 10 or more mini bikes. So I priced it so that if someone needed it, could get it.

I wish tanks were cheaper and better designed for multi use.

I'm looking to

I read everything and I can't figure out the same. I have been looking for a 3 quart tank with a # 5 carb for a long time. No luck, I found the tanks are about $75 for something decent. But would like to find that combination for a Raptor I have lying around. :shrug:

And to add insult to injury the Wing Nuts don't give you a gas cap! Their a mere 13 bucks more plus shipping!
I was born at night....not last night.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
e-bay # 320650368478

Suitable for go-kart and some other use.

Mounts by Rubber V grove bloc and brackets.

Over Priced, Rubber bloc & brackets 161437400352

Rubber bloc 390506218213