X-90 Restoration Question

I have been looking at X-90 Rider's restoration photos and they look great. I have a question about powder coating the frame/parts.

a) What color black did you use? Is it a semi-gloss? I am not real familiar with powder coating and don't know if there are color options.

b) Did people use someone local or did you ship the parts out?

I have a 73 that I have found most of the parts for. It is disassembled and I plan on finishing the parts blasting this weekend and want to move on to the powder coated, chroming, painted etc.

Thanks,
Blake

I use a local powder shop for the big parts. Gloss black powder matches the original fnish on the smooth parts(it is not supposed to be as bright and shiny as paint). For the textured areas I used wrinkle powder and it is an exact match to the original finish. :thumbsup:

x-90 rider,

Things are starting to come together. I got the parts powder coated, the rims zinc plated and have a rolling frame. I am about to get the tank painted and was wondering whether you happened to have the PPG formula for a blue 73 tank.

Thanks,

x90

x90
i have the manuals and parts coming for my 73 from jims hd ,thanks,
my bike frame appears black , my tank looks blue, i want to keep it correct as possible. how can i tell what is right? I'm going to have powder coating done on the frame and side covers,seat pan ?. The wheels need refinnishing, u guys says Zinc? Not chrome(we have to send parts out for that). ? The fenders r stainless? Who has the decals for the bike? How many r there? I only see the tank decal and fender one.
Still trying to get pics to load
thanks
sante

x90
i have the manuals and parts coming for my 73 from jims hd ,thanks,
my bike frame appears black , my tank looks blue, i want to keep it correct as possible. how can i tell what is right? I'm going to have powder coating done on the frame and side covers,seat pan ?. The wheels need refinnishing, u guys says Zinc? Not chrome(we have to send parts out for that). ? The fenders r stainless? Who has the decals for the bike? How many r there? I only see the tank decal and fender one.
Still trying to get pics to load
thanks
sante
The side covers are wrinkle finished. Look at some sample plates to find the correct texture.
The wheels are zinc plated and the fenders are stainless.
The only decals are on the tank and rear fender. Periodically reproduction tank stripes come up on ebay. The rear fender decal is available at Moto Italia

I finally made it to the paint shop. The color is Harley Sparkling Blue but they did not save the formula. They used a PPG Prophet Spectrophotometer to match the original color. The paint was perfect underneath the AMF Harley Davidson decals and that is where they obtained the reading. Any large PPG supplier or paint shop should have a Prophet in-house.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for checking X-90 rider. The tank was sprayed with a rattle can so the only remaining paint is under the rubber pad on the bottom of the tank so I will see about cleaning that up and getting a good match.

Everything seems to be coming together.