Z-50 repair in Orlando, FL

Hello, anyone out there know of a shop with experience working on a 69' Z-50? I bought a "restored" bike off Ebay years ago, never ran, tried cleaning out carb, new plug, and still cannot get it to run.

Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks.

are you talking about honda dealerships? i hate any kind of dealership situation where you get reamed. what i would really like to find is an indie shop that won't rip me off and has experience working on these bikes in particular.

the honda dealer would be my last resort.

Check these things.
1. Pull the plug out of the head still conected to the wire kick it over and see if you get a spark? If it is not then replace the plug check the key switch,
2. Make sure the carb is getting gas, if its not then check the petcock and fule line.
3. Make sure the air filter is not clogged with anything like a rats nest! Not saying thats the problem but something blocking the air way can mess it up.
4. If its getting gas, and spark, and still not fireing- go to a honda dealer ship and get a honda spark plug trust me it does make a difference, some of the cheap ones at advanced auto are crap, spend the extra 2 bucks and get a good plug.
5. If none of these things work pack it up send it to me and i will take care of it!!!!
6. Just kidding but if you have spark and gas the timming may be out. if someone says the motor was rebuilt, unless they know what they are doing and they checked the timming it wont run even if its out a little.

are you talking about honda dealerships? i hate any kind of dealership situation where you get reamed. what i would really like to find is an indie shop that won't rip me off and has experience working on these bikes in particular.

the honda dealer would be my last resort.
Don't learn how your bike works and you are going to pay regardless, thats why I mentioned CL for a retired mechanic working on the side. OR you can get a manual and do it yourself. :eek:ut:

Why would a Honda dealership be your last resort for working on a Honda ?
I guess for the same reasons I don't take my cars to dealerships for repairs. They are usually twice as much in cost and advise more work done than what is necessary.

Maybe it works differently at bike shops?

I tried getting the spark, of course it was with a cheap ass plug from autozone, and I got no spark.

The carb was just cleaned with new jets, I know it's getting fuel. Air filter is brand new.

I guess I could try installing a new ignition coil, maybe that will work.?

Thank for the advice.

Check these things.
1. Pull the plug out of the head still conected to the wire kick it over and see if you get a spark? If it is not then replace the plug check the key switch,
2. Make sure the carb is getting gas, if its not then check the petcock and fule line.
3. Make sure the air filter is not clogged with anything like a rats nest! Not saying thats the problem but something blocking the air way can mess it up.
4. If its getting gas, and spark, and still not fireing- go to a honda dealer ship and get a honda spark plug trust me it does make a difference, some of the cheap ones at advanced auto are crap, spend the extra 2 bucks and get a good plug.
5. If none of these things work pack it up send it to me and i will take care of it!!!!
6. Just kidding but if you have spark and gas the timming may be out. if someone says the motor was rebuilt, unless they know what they are doing and they checked the timming it wont run even if its out a little.

markus

Its probably something with the points if it has no spark. The coils are pretty tough. I'd test a few things out before sticking an I believe $80? coil on there.

I'm 3 hours from Orlando, If your heading to Sarasota area for anything though, I'll fix it for ya :smile: the 5 or so z50'sthat I have had (all hardtails) ALWAYS had and issue under hte flywheel (points, corroded magnets, etc...) Usually fixable with some sandpaper and a quick adjustment!

I guess for the same reasons I don't take my cars to dealerships for repairs. They are usually twice as much in cost and advise more work done than what is necessary.

Maybe it works differently at bike shops?

Everyone thinks that but car dealerships here get $86/hr. Most garages get $60+ and if they need a part they have to go get where a dealer probably has it and you save an hr or 2 so it always comes out the same plus dealerships won't rip you off like the garages do and will always do a better job. Oh, and I'm not a mechanic.

I don't trust dealers, I had to bring my truck in for an 02 sensor/computer/engine light and the bastards said I needed other stuff like a new belt,,, I replaced the belt a month ago and ripped in to the sumbitches in front of a bunch of customers. Man that felt good. :thumbsup:

markus

I don't trust dealers, I had to bring my truck in for an 02 sensor/computer/engine light and the bastards said I needed other stuff like a new belt,,, I replaced the belt a month ago and ripped in to the sumbitches in front of a bunch of customers. Man that felt good. :thumbsup:

Sell, sell, sell! thats the name of the game! I was offered a service writer position at a dealership. After talking with them, I felt I could not do it (the selling of uneeded stuff that is). Not to mention the customer hates you for trying to sell the uneeded stuff, and the mechanic hates you if you don't sell the stuff to the customer!

In honor of this thread, I just agreed to buy another minitrail I found local! pick it up this weekend:thumbsup: