1970 Benelli Volcano

Brid

Just when you think you've seen it all (or at least a lot of it!!) something else pops up. Hi there, my name is Brid Caveney and I'm new to the forum. I own West Coast Racing in Austin Texas and build/restore Vintage bikes along with Matt Quinn from Pipeworx. Matt is a 'high end' welder/fabricator who shares my passion for pretty much any old machinery.
One of our good friends dropped the Volcano off a couple of days ago for a 'make over', and within a couple of hours we had it running. The motor sounds good/strong - which is reassuring!! The rest of the bike though needs a fair bit of TLC, as it has been 'well used'. As we've never had one in the shop before, we are looking for parts/advice on the restoration.
First off, we needs fork seals and rear shock absorbers, a crush ring for the exhaust to head flange. A workshop manual would be nice - but not imperative.
The wiring is a shambles, and a complete new loom would be nice, or at very least a wiring diagram. It also needs a complete tail light, tyres/tubes and brake shoes. The handlebars are a little 'tweaked' but can be straightened.
There is an oil leak on the kickstart shaft, and it appears the only way to address it is by splitting the cases?
We are pretty happy about having such a fun little project in the shop, and will be posting progress pictures.
As I'm posting this at home, I don't have my notes with Engine/Frame numbers.
Any help with parts etc would be very graciously welcomed. If anyone can help, please mail us at matt@pipeworx.com as that is the computer used in the shop.
Thanks!!
Brid.
PS -- Also got to figure out how to post pics?

Hi Brid,

Welcome...I own a Volcano...and I can tell you 1st hand, finding "all" of the original parts you need, will be a very challenging endeavor. Esp those fork seals etc...

Your best bet is to talk to Joe Purschock at Cosmopolitan Motors in PA. I dont have his number off hand...but I'll look for it. He was the main importer of Benelli bikes back in the day...and he has a warehouse full of stuff. BUT, Volcano stuff is VERY hard to come back and is very expesnive. They only made 201 of them.

I have an NOS seat (not for sale) that someone offered me $1000 for a little while back. Crazy!

So, it might take some time to source all of the parts etc...and it'll cost a penny or two...but they are cool bikes.

Fyi - those tank emblems in original condition go for big money. Having said that, I have seen a couple reproductions on ebay for $30. I've seen the originals go upwards of $300!

These bikes command big money and parts are hard to find...Good Luck! :thumbsup:

i have owned benellis and there are a couple of sites on yahoo that cater to the benelli/monkey wards riverside bikes.......and a warehouse that used to be called cosmopolitan motors or cosmo.....get on the forum they will direct you to the source for benelli parts.....montgomery wards used to import these bikes in the 60s and cosmo used to be the place.....the guys on the forum can tell you more about it....good luck....they are cool bikes.....:scooter:

I know a few Sach's and Duicati seals and bearings crossmatch with Benelli #'s but I couldn't tell you what they are. I once got a shift fork seal for a Sachs at a Duicati dealer and parts man told me that.

Brid

i have owned benellis and there are a couple of sites on yahoo that cater to the benelli/monkey wards riverside bikes.......and a warehouse that used to be called cosmopolitan motors or cosmo.....get on the forum they will direct you to the source for benelli parts.....montgomery wards used to import these bikes in the 60s and cosmo used to be the place.....the guys on the forum can tell you more about it....good luck....they are cool bikes.....:scooter:
I was told that JC Penney imported the Volcano? I have worked on several MW Mojave's and have a buddy out in New Mexico that raced them. The 180 2 stroke seems to be a bit elusive regarding info?
Thanks for all the goodwill folks, and -- let's keep going forward!!
Cheers,
Brid.

Brid

I was told that JC Penney imported the Volcano? I have worked on several MW Mojave's and have a buddy out in New Mexico that raced them. The 180 2 stroke seems to be a bit elusive regarding info?
Thanks for all the goodwill folks, and -- let's keep going forward!!
Cheers,
Brid.

There is actually a pretty good amount of info on the internet about these bikes...That 180cc engine is also used in the Benelli Enduro, so there are parts out there. A couple weeks ago a guy on ebay was selling a benelli parts lot that included a couple Volcano engines etc...Engine wise you won't have a problem finding parts...but exhaust, seat, fork seals, shocks, thank emblems etc will be tough....Tires, wheels, handle bars, controls/grips etc wont be hard as they are interchangeable with a benelli dynamo which are very popular. I think there is a repro set of tank emblems on ebay...do a search for them!

Good luck!

Urgently needed!

Well, not able to post pics today however, have the bike rolling again. Managed to find fork seals and they are holding oil just fine ---- BUT --- one of the seal holders (G 497/C oil seal support) had been 'hacked on' and the o/ring (G 497/B) is leaking. A big pain as it was all looking good up until now. The bike has to be ready for a big show coming up Oct 19/21st, so - am again scrabbling for parts!! Any help greatly appreciated and photo's to follow very soon.
Cheers,
Brid.

Bike Today

Here's a progress pic!! We have all the stock parts, but are going to build a Custom tank/seat/fenders. Anyone have an expansion chamber that we could retro fit?

Rims are powdercoated and hubs paint matched. Tyres are Conti Zippy's (speed rated!!) Just put some after market handlebars on and am trying to adapt a wiring loom from some other Benelli. Some difference in the dip switch, as it is missing the yellow wire shown in the Volcano diagram, which feeds the tail light and a small bulb in the headlight. I'm assuming the lights were always on, and the yellow wire would have been powered by the black wire from the magneto, bridged inside the dip switch? Time is running out for getting the bike completely finished for a big show next weekend. Anyone have a quick way of running the bike without all the lights operational? Seems the ignition is somehow tied into the lighting circuits and it needs bulbs wired in to get spark?
Again, any help greatly appreciated.
Brid.