2015 BUILDOFF ENTRY Open Class Powell Challenger

yep...you got it going on.........I really like those type seats better...........nice dave......I always like your builds
Thanks Tippy. These seats are easier to mount on a twin tube frame, if using the springs. The Powell frame is so short, that you are really limited with what you can do back there. But I HAD to get rid of that loaf of bread seat. I absolutely hated it.

Itype2slo

Thanks Tippy. These seats are easier to mount on a twin tube frame, if using the springs. The Powell frame is so short, that you are really limited with what you can do back there. But I HAD to get rid of that loaf of bread seat. I absolutely hated it.
I really like that seat style. I have a seat bracket that somebody modded so there is a post that I can mount by a bicycle seat to. I am not a big fan of the bread loaf seat either. Love the build. :thumbsup:

Itype2slo

I like the way you just fabricate something as you need. It. Side note before the little banana seat I had a big wide ass mountain bike seat on there it was real comfy until my wife noticed it missing from her bike. Anyways make something cool and sell me one. :thumbsup:

cool seat dave

I take it your painting it red
Yes, definitely red. I'm undecided yet on the details. Thinking a candy over silver metallic base, or a very vivid red in base/clear coat.

I like the way you just fabricate something as you need. It. Side note before the little banana seat I had a big wide ass mountain bike seat on there it was real comfy until my wife noticed it missing from her bike. Anyways make something cool and sell me one. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I don't have any machine tools, just an angle grinder and welder. So if you see me post a photo of something I made, rest assured it's not the first attempt. :laugh:

The engine, drive, suspension, frame, wheels, forks, rear light assembly, exhaust are all original, un touched. I can bend up a replacement 1/4 X 1.5 inch bread loaf seat frame in about an hour.

The engine, drive, suspension, frame, wheels, forks, rear light assembly, exhaust are all original, un touched. I can bend up a replacement 1/4 X 1.5 inch bread loaf seat frame in about an hour.
Please dont Dave!! I have seen this style seat I think on one of Bayareaburritos Powells I dont remember what they called that model, but it was original at some point! I think Scottesey had one too?) so if it passes for the "vintage" class rules please leave it!! That seat rocks!!!! :thumbsup:

Here it is I know you have seen it Dave just posting for anyone that hasnt!

Last edited:
Please dont Dave!! I have seen this style seat I think on one of Bayareaburritos Powells I dont remember what they called that model, but it was original at some point! I think Scottesey had one too?) so if it passes for the "vintage" class rules please leave it!! That seat rocks!!!! :thumbsup:

Here it is I know you have seen it Dave just posting for anyone that hasnt!

That's why I didn't say anything, since I had seen BAB's seat before too.

The lighted HS40 pretty much mocked up. Toycartony parted with his Powell spark arrestor as a gift. Thank you sir. I added a slash cut tail pipe which clears the frame and should burn my leg pretty good.

That awesome velocity stack is one made my Kustomkartkid. I really like it. It sits right in the middle of the frame almost to the swing arms, but clears everything. For an informative and interesting thread on how he machined it, click here.

The metal tank replaces a white plastic one I was going to use, and is more in keeping with what Powell had on these. I got the tank from Johnny Tillotson. I'll paint it white.

Something else I have been toying with for quite some time is this Le Pere solo seat. Front mount is on bronze bushings. Temporarily supported now, it will have two 3" coil springs. My thought was to keep the seat mount in some semblance of the original Powell tacky, yet unrefined, with a utilitarian look. I dismantled the original seat mount to build this. They're simple to reproduce, so I am not concerned with losing this piece.

Once the springs are in, I will see how much (if any) flex is there and gusset as required. It feels pretty strong.

Looking Real Good Dave, I like It !! :thumbsup:

Thank you for that. It was that photo that started me thinking about what I could do to get rid of the loaf of bread seat. I looked at tractor seats, leaf spring supports, the entire gamut of seat and seat supports. Found a cool Triumph done like that and sent the photo to Tanksrus in a comment on his build. Really been thinking hard and long about this aspect.

That's why I didn't say anything, since I had seen BAB's seat before too.
Thanks, it never occurred to me that this would border on non-vintage. I'm using different tires, added a small switch plate, (no place to mount on a Powell) and of course using a cheapo throttle in place of the unobtainium Powell model. I'd rather be DQ'd than cause any issues.

Looking Real Good Dave, I like It !! :thumbsup:
Thanks.

Out of respect for the talented builders in the Vintage Class who worked hard to retain their bike's origins, I withdraw my build from that class. Thanks for the positive comments, but this thing is looking "resto-mod to me. :laugh:

Now I am in Open class. It's a better fit, since I was never really sure what this bike was going to be when I started. (Lack of focus) So the pressure is off! :thumbsup:

Awhile ago, my friend gave me some red paint. It's BMW "Chili Red" code 851. It needed to be reduced, but every reducer I had caused it to increase in volume, and get thicker. (PPG) Yesterday, I said "heck with it" and dumped in a bunch of acetone, and by golly it cut it down, so I shot it. No problem, although it took many coats to cover.

The next coat will be a "Gold Shimmer" pearl powder mixed with clear urethane and reduced. Once that is done, I'll clear coat it and shoot a photo hopefully. Or shoot a photo of me with paint stripper. :laugh: Or shoot the bike and be done with it.

Out of respect for the talented builders in the Vintage Class who worked hard to retain their bike's origins, I withdraw my build from that class. Thanks for the positive comments, but this thing is looking "resto-mod to me. :laugh:
Great news for the vintage class guys , us open class guys , not so much :laugh::thumbsup:

Great news for the vintage class guys , us open class guys , not so much :laugh::thumbsup:
No, I don't think so. Every build I look at seems over-the-top excellent. I've been jacking around with this so long, I may not get it finished in time in the first place. I'm okay with that too. I just want to get it done, so I can start on other projects.

I really don't think that it doesn't belong in vintage :hammer:
It's all good Todd. Once I saw the spectacular Powells that Scottessy and CarPlay restored, I knew I couldn't hope to compete with them as a 100% original bike. So I decided to give a nod to the current trend of "cruiser style" bikes people are building these days, and dedicate it to a beach-boulevard theme. I probably went a little bit overboard on that, and raised some eyebrows. I'm fine with it, and just glad there are so many great builds in all of the categories, as well as Don volunteering to head this up, and Jamie and the guys doing the trophies. :thumbsup: (And some very cool stuff CarPlay sent me as well)

I'm dying to install the WB820 reeds and 1" carburetor in a certain MC49 on a certain kart however. :wink:

BMW "Chili Red" base coat code 851 applied. Next will be a coat of pearl gold powder in reduced clear, followed by clear. I had to modify the seat base, as it caused a pronounced and painful slide forward causing "bar straddling." Also referred to as "nut smashing." Sits good now.

BMW "Chili Red" base coat code 851 applied. Next will be a coat of pearl gold powder in reduced clear, followed by clear. I had to modify the seat base, as it caused a pronounced and painful slide forward causing "bar straddling." Also referred to as "nut smashing." Sits good now.

looks amazing dave :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best lookin seat setup hands down I have ever seen on a Powell(and most others)!! Very nice work Dave!!!! :bowdown: