5 Harbor Freight Tools Worth Buying

Hi all,

Just to show I'm not a tool-snob, (after ripping on the HF vise), we made a video of our 5 favorite things from Harbor Freight tools.

What would be your favorite HF find? Do any of you have one or more of the items we picked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxA51eDGgo

And yes, I did accidentally light the carb from my son's Predator on fire. The damage was only cosmetic, but I still went to OldMiniBikes warehouse and bought him a replacement! :doah::laugh::laugh:

Nice vid!! Would like to see more videos of items worth buying at H.F.!! Thanks T.T.!! And for the record I have had each item you mentioned and like them as well!! :thumbsup:

Never tried an electric impact, my I/R is about worn out but I'm fond of air tools so I'll replace it. The tap & die set I should look into, mine have gotten scattered and damaged over the years. Earplugs are my preference but muffs do work far better, can't find my old gun range units so that might be on my list. I bought a gray and black angle grinder from HF one and used it for an hour on a trailer tongue replacement and it got super hot and would not turn off, the switch melted and if I hadn't had gloves on my hands would have suffered terribly. It's not the same one you showed here though. I may have to try an electric impact though, my air hose will reach most of the acre fenced in here but it's a pain in the ass to roll out and dirt gets in my air tools away from the shop.

Never tried an electric impact, my I/R is about worn out but I'm fond of air tools so I'll replace it. The tap & die set I should look into, mine have gotten scattered and damaged over the years. Earplugs are my preference but muffs do work far better, can't find my old gun range units so that might be on my list. I bought a gray and black angle grinder from HF one and used it for an hour on a trailer tongue replacement and it got super hot and would not turn off, the switch melted and if I hadn't had gloves on my hands would have suffered terribly. It's not the same one you showed here though. I may have to try an electric impact though, my air hose will reach most of the acre fenced in here but it's a pain in the ass to roll out and dirt gets in my air tools away from the shop.
Two things:

1. The HF electric impact wrench is a great tool, and one I use all the time, but is no match for a good I/R pneumatic gun. I do use it a lot, partly just because my air compressor takes about 5 minutes to build up enough PSI to run my pneumatic impact, and is louder than my mother-in-law!

2. If your HF grinder was the little black and gray one they sell for $14.99 (often on sale for $9.99 - 11.99) then I have had a similar experience.

We actually shot a second video the same day, 5 items from HF tools to avoid, and that little grinder made the list.

The electric impact appeals to me because it's easier to take my generator on the road than it and a compressor in the event I need to rescue someone from the side of the road. I do love my air tools but sometimes the hose is just too cumbersome in certain spots even though I have swivel couplers.
And yep, same grinder I described. I have a blue one from there that seems to be holding up much better but am looking for a used Makita because I'm too cheap to buy one new.
I find your videos informative and well done, keep up the good work informing folks about your experiences.:thumbsup:

Two things:

1. The HF electric impact wrench is a great tool, and one I use all the time, but is no match for a good I/R pneumatic gun. I do use it a lot, partly just because my air compressor takes about 5 minutes to build up enough PSI to run my pneumatic impact, and is louder than my mother-in-law!

2. If your HF grinder was the little black and gray one they sell for $14.99 (often on sale for $9.99 - 11.99) then I have had a similar experience.

We actually shot a second video the same day, 5 items from HF tools to avoid, and that little grinder made the list.

Cool thread and i love discussing HF tools :) Most of them are serviceable but as all know, some are junk.

I used to buy more tools through HF..during the 08-10' period when the economy was down, my tool requirements as a plumber typically require quality efficient tools as made by name brand companies but when business went south i used quite a few HF specials. I've purchased 4 or 5 drills, from small hammer drills to the big demo hammer. One pipe threading machine and several pumps. Metal cutting shears and a reciprocating saw. All worked initially and would have got a weekend handyman by for awhile..in my case not a one lasted over a year and the threading machine only worked once. Every drill had its motor burn out in one way or another. All were replaced with makita, Bosch and Milwaukee ...all those are still working fine. I only buy HF items with motors for occasional\specialty use now but other items of theirs have worked fine.

I love their 100 heavy duty disposable gloves, tarps and ratcheting straps. The adjustable wrenches are still with me and for example, where else can you get a 2 ft crescent for 30 bucks? Same with the huge pipe wrenches..the stuff i only need once in a blue moon but would cost me 300.00 in a name brand manufacturer. I can get stuff like flux brushes for almost nothing..tape and sealents and other oddball stuff is 1\3 the cost of Lowes.

I like HF but think i've learned what its all about and can appreciate the place for what it is.

I bought an air drill from them and it never worked. I do have a couple things from them such as a cherry picker and a tranny jack and I needed some needle files a few weeks ago. Oh and I just bought an 8" bench grinder, seems OK so far, it's very noisy and vibrate-y. I bought a stand for it, which I do like but I wish it wasn't 3-sided as this makes the stand "tippy". A round base would have been much more desirable and safe.
I do have a set of 1/2" drive deep metric impact socket set from their Pittsburgh brand that i beat up for 5 years and never broke one, so.....

I find their stuff to be hit or miss.

I agree with massacre about the hit and miss thing. Bought a couple of the 6" bench grinders and one runs great , it's so balanced it runs so smooth. But the other vibrates so much it shakes work bench. You never know what will get but do like going and buying the hemi engines. Got 9 so far .....

I like that Harbor Freight will replace the tool or refund your money if within warranty period. Just take the used tool to the store. My brother had a framing gun that lasted through 3 or 4 fence jobs, then quit. They replaced it no problem. Same with some Styrofoam hot knives I bought for a school project. We used them hard for a full weekend, then they all died within an hour of each other. They took them all back and gave us a refund.

Gatecrasher

I just took a 20% off coupon down to Harbor Freight last weekend and bought one of their plastic carts to use as my mobile pinball machine repair cart. It works great and allows me to wheel it right up next to a machine with all my soldering equipment, Dremel tools and electrical parts. I wanted plastic because they roll nice and you don't have to worry about scratching a pinball machine cabinet.

IMG_2173.JPG

Gatecrasher

One thing I plan to do next is mount a power strip with a 15-20 ft. cord on it.

I might get a cheapo tool chest with drawers for the lower shelf too.

IMG_2226.JPG

I just took a 20% off coupon down to Harbor Freight last weekend and bought one of their plastic carts to use as my mobile pinball machine repair cart. It works great and allows me to wheel it right up next to a machine with all my soldering equipment, Dremel tools and electrical parts. I wanted plastic because they roll nice and you don't have to worry about scratching a pinball machine cabinet.

View attachment 78727
That's a cool set up!

I have several of Harbor Freight step drills for use on building minis. Can't go wrong for the price.
You had better luck than we did. I used one to go from 1/2" to 5/8" and it went dull after doing only one hole. (Yes, I did go slow speed with oil and periodically cooling the bit in cold water)
Michael