Back on my project

Its been awhile, but I'm back on my project again. It's a trail blazer I think, just by looking at the sticker on the front of the bike. I'm wanting to get it running for my kids to ride this summer. We had a Rupp as a kid, and it was lots of fun. Back to the project - I got it running, and now need to order a clutch for the motor. I've put some pics in my album for others to look at. Don't mind the mess in the garage. The motor has a 3/4" shaft. Looking at the pic, how can you figure out what clutch and gear I need? Any ideas?

It should have a 2-speed Comet clutch set-up. It would have dual chain and gears from primary clutch to rear jackshaft secondary clutch. Seems you have the secondary..now you need the primary (front clutch).

Looks like a normal clutch..but has 2 gears on it instead of one. And put a wanted add in the classifieds is your best bet. Or E-bay. They are not cheap though..so be prepared to spend a lil cash for one.

I have a full suspension Trail horse that I plan on putting an HS40 with a Comet two speed on also.The Comet clutch is hard to find but I believe you can still get the Max Torque clutch and it should work with your secondary unit.Pics take lots of pics of your build.

Hi SimpleTom, I'm embarrassed to say that I think I talked to you before on here and now I'm finally getting back to working on this project. You helped me out in the past with pictures. I live in Kaukauna, WI.

BMI Karts Have the two speed clutches for 59.99 part number 400905 :thumbsup:

I have a few of these bikes with the two speed on them and I used this clutch on one of them .:thumbsup:

Ah yes, Kaukauna. Just east of Appleton. Check out the events section. There are a couple shows that are taking place this summer near you that you should attend. Maybe I'll see you there. :thumbsup:

Once you have gotten the 2 speed setup cleaned up and working it will amaze you how well it works and how fast the bike will be. I have a standard jackshaft setup on my Trailblazer and it woke the bike up, I ride mine near daily but try to ride the others some too.

Anyone know how a dual sprocket clutch works? Is the clutch engaging both sprockets simultaneously? Not sure how this would work on my minibike I'm assembling. Currently on the jackshaft there is a 24 tooth gear, that immediately engages in the forward direction, and slips in reverse. And there is a 12 tooth comet clutch as well. How would the clutches work together, or engage and disengage. :shrug:

:thumbsup:Yes both sprockets turn together and when it shifts into second the large gear freewheels and the smaller gear [clutch on J S] speeds bike forward , works great on the several I have

Last edited: