BC 500 Kit Build w/West Bend 580

Midyrman

Its finally finished and this one I can ride......a little at least.... given the neighbors might not enjoy like myself the sounds of the West Bend.

Karl (Not So Mini Bike) sold me the BC 500 kit. These kits came from in a box with the frame in primer and a can of red paint. Since I am not a fan of red mini bikes for some reason, I started thinking about a color which got me thinking about the rest of the bike. My last build was an orange MC1210TC so I decided to go in the opposite direction with an industrial look. With that in mind, I picked a DupliColor Engine Enamel (Ford Gray) that wet sands nicely for a clear coat finish.

I also got to thinking that these bikes came without an engine so why not add an engine that someone might have done back in the day.....something a bit different but not radical. I've admired the West Bends series and with advice and direction from Aaron (Ajf) I got in touch with Frank Moore and ended up with the West Bend 580 5 Port. Frank couldn't have been more patient and helpful.

I added the jackshaft with the gear on the outside of the bracket to align with the West Bend. I had to be careful to not get too close the foot brake rod which necessitated a small 11 tooth sprocket which I matched with the an 11 tooth inside sprocket. I decided on the Silver Space chain given the heavier, "two tone" look. Thank you OldMiniBikes!

I had the foot pegs chromed at SpaceCoast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They give the bike a little pop since there isn't any other chrome on the bike except for the clutch guard.

The gas tank came from Andy (Capgun...), which I painted a chrome color and clear coated. (The chrome changed completely when I applied the clear coat, which was a pleasant surprise since I did not really like the result with the chrome paint and was thinking about finding another color). I did the same process with the acorn wheels and they came out nice. It's really a shocker to see the chrome paint change color when the clear is applied.

The fenders are original Bonanzas that were void of any remaining chrome but otherwise pretty nice. I painted them a Hammer-Silver Rustoleum and topped with clear after wet sanding. The hammer affect with some of the minor imperfections on the fenders work well together. After setting them on the tire before mounting in the standard location.... I realized I liked the look of them literally sitting on the tire. So I made a set of brackets for the front and back that lowered them as close to the tire as I dare, and within a couple of hours they were mounted. I think the lowered fenders make the bike! (Importantly to the future of any new build, my wife likes it too!)

I particularly want to thank a couple of guys on the forum who responded to my question about hooking up the throttle cable at the engine. I can't find the thread but I know Markus was one of them. They got me thinking and I ended up making my own bracket with a standard cable holder as you can see in one of the pictures.

Thanks everyone for your help and thank you OldMiniBikes!

Just need some gas.....

Tom

Last edited:

6doggie3

You have a nice collection of Bonanza's in the background of the 1st pic But can't tell what the last mini is?
Mx,Mbtc,CR and ??????

Midyrman

So far, I am sticking with Bonanzas and I try to keep them as original and correct as feasible and practical.

The far end bike is a BC1300 series version I bought from a forum member. Everything was there so the work was mostly cosmetic after a complete disassembly. Chroming is not cheap, I learned.

The Bonanza Chopper was also purchased from a Forum member but came as a roller. I found a vintage HS Tec from Chad (OldMiniBikes) and did a complete cosmetic restoration. The silver is a powder coat metallic, which I picked out after deciding against the more standard orange. My wife's favorite!

The MX1310 was also purchased from a Forum member and is a very nice survivor. Just cleaned it up without doing any disassembly. Had the light rechromed. The orange clutch guard looks good as I found a great match to the original Bonanza orange but I now have a very nice original chrome guard in place which is correct.

The MC1210TC was purchased from a member. It came disassembled and in need of a complete restoration but was pretty much all there. I have the original seat but for now I am using a standard Bonanza BC seat. Looking for a guard for the TC setup. Unlike a chopper, in this case I really like the orange, which is the original color of the bike.

The B1500SH is an original bike.....and you guessed it.....purchased from a Forum member. Starting to work on it.

I no longer have the BC1400.

Last edited: