Best carb for a mod predator 212cc

vwfan79

The manifold is a personal choice for whatever will fit best on your kart. No throttle plate needed with the mikuni the cable hooks right to slide of the carb. Don't forget the jets, get a 130 main and a 12.5 pilot.

The manifold is a personal choice for whatever will fit best on your kart. No throttle plate needed with the mikuni the cable hooks right to slide of the carb. Don't forget the jets, get a 130 main and a 12.5 pilot.
i believe i have those two jets... they wont work with the carb i have, after you order the carb, send me your pm, ill send you the jets, start there with your tuning...

go to nrracing.com look at there kits for me in see if im getting the right one the stock number is 9987. in also they may have jets for yours it says on the one im looking at that it comes with a jet kit

ok thanks lscustom just check the carb out if u would please in let me know if iam getting the right one u think u could email me your phone number sounds like u know quit a bit in were running kinda a similar motor to mine in I based mine kinda off of yours. just b easier talkin an I can actually explain things better to u. up to u tho my email is cncmrhkmh1000@twc.com in no im not annoying in would not b calling you all the time I do auto restorations in collision work own my own business with my father might have things thatll interest you

ok thanks lscustom just check the carb out if u would please in let me know if iam getting the right one u think u could email me your phone number sounds like u know quit a bit in were running kinda a similar motor to mine in I based mine kinda off of yours. just b easier talkin an I can actually explain things better to u. up to u tho my email is cncmrhkmh1000@twc.com in no im not annoying in would not b calling you all the time I do auto restorations in collision work own my own business with my father might have things thatll interest you
im just getting into these motors and have relied on tons of research and many people on and off the forum as far as me learning a ton... most of my personal knowledge comes from auto related projects/race car etc. but ive quickly learned that small things make much more of a difference on these small motors... while i dont mind talking to you on the phone... i think there are more qualified people to talk to reference these motors...

the biggest thing i would say, that i have learned... is to not stress yourself out about this stuff.. dont sweat it too much... whichever choice you make, you can work with it and through it...

as far as your Compression ratio, with that stock gasket, i believe you would be close to 12:1 maybe slightly less or slightly more, depending on how much the gasket compresses at the torque spec

yeah im like u I work on big motors in these little things are toatally differ from what im used to did u check out the carb and kit for me is it the right one

vwfan79

Mike- that carb kit looks good, I prefer the short manifold as I ride mini bikes and it keeps the carb from sticking out of the frame so far. Also I would just go with the small air filter, again just a more compact neater look.
Gerald- I have not yet used a flat slide, although I just bought a 28mm flat slide for my drag motor. From what I've been told they are a lot better then the round slides and have more adjustments. All the guys in Detroit have them on there drag bikes and some use the smaller ones on there cruiser bikes too.

Just reading this.
If you can get high octane unleaded that is the stuff you want.

Less deposits.....

Use the lowest octane fuel to meet your needs.

that's what im using newoldstock... racing fuel 110 octane and thanks vwfan97 I will get what u said and just wont a good one. Its just at a dead stop when I put it to the floor it wants to bog down like no power then once rpm comes up its ready to scream don't it sound like a carb issue to you all to this happens within like 3 seconds then it wants to scream seems like it didn't really do it that bad when I first took off on it to break it in I know it has good compression bout tear my damn arm off sometimes trying to start it cuz the rope pulls hard out of my hand an its a new motor not barely over a week old if its not carb what else could it b. im still getting carb to tho just wanna get this straightened out it could b my clutch to u think because its just a max torque clutch with 14 tooth the 56 dollar one arc

Gerald- I have not yet used a flat slide, although I just bought a 28mm flat slide for my drag motor. From what I've been told they are a lot better then the round slides and have more adjustments. All the guys in Detroit have them on there drag bikes and some use the smaller ones on there cruiser bikes too.
im going to use the same one... and also looking into fuel injection for a motor too... just want to play with this stuff a little...

vwfan79

I was looking at the FI systems too but for one I don't like the cost and second I enjoy tuning the carb and watching the motor come alive. Its the little things like tuning a carb and adjusting timing that really zmakes a difference in these small engines.

that's what im using newoldstock... racing fuel 110 octane and thanks vwfan97 I will get what u said and just wont a good one. Its just at a dead stop when I put it to the floor it wants to bog down like no power then once rpm comes up its ready to scream don't it sound like a carb issue to you all to this happens within like 3 seconds then it wants to scream seems like it didn't really do it that bad when I first took off on it to break it in I know it has good compression bout tear my damn arm off sometimes trying to start it cuz the rope pulls hard out of my hand an its a new motor not barely over a week old if its not carb what else could it b. im still getting carb to tho just wanna get this straightened out it could b my clutch to u think because its just a max torque clutch with 14 tooth the 56 dollar one arc
1. i would make sure it is tuned, the stumbled could be a fuel issue (lean, etc) but you will be tuning it when you get the carb in anyway...

2. the centrifugal clutches are not working out with my motor... just sparks and slips... both a built max torque and the hilliard.. so going with a 2 disk... i should have 2 clutches coming from DBR soon too, the manual clutches with different clutch material, that may hold up to the power, cant wait to try those... hopefully one will work, as this is the one i want to use...

I was looking at the FI systems too but for one I don't like the cost and second I enjoy tuning the carb and watching the motor come alive. Its the little things like tuning a carb and adjusting timing that really zmakes a difference in these small engines.
cool... i want a turbo setup, with the fi, but i may just have a friend mod the carb for me and for a turbo setup...

Big carbs have poor low speed performance.
I have worked at this an its real hard to fix.

Its a velocity issue, air blowing threw is too slow relative to venturi and throat diameter.
when you open it right up the velocity picks up faster than the fuel flow.
Its a game of catch up until you cam pull the fuel along to get it to run decent.
A couple of fixes:
higher idle speed and richer mixture on the low side.
Your going to have to tap the throttle to keep it from drowning out at low speed with all that fuel.

I have that issue and can't say there is anything else to do.

Racing carbs do not idle.
Race engines race.....

When your running it ( actual race ) and you get off the throttle the high vacuum you pull draws a rich mixture into the engine.
When you come out of a corner or down a hill the engine is loaded down with fuel.
Your primed for the next time you crack the throttle wide and no bog.

But if your just coming off the idle and your set lean for a clean idle you lack that cushion of extra fuel.
Watch the drag bikes on Anna street videos.
All the guys are tapping the throttle and you can hear how fat the mixtures are.
Modified Karts same thing especially the ones running tillotsons.
They need to lean up for the parade laps and warm up.
But if you watch once they are ready to drop the flag those low speed circuits are set real fat again.
On a yellow when they have to drop back and cut the power the drivers are all tapping the throttle to keep the plugs clear adn keep from drowning...

If you have a tillotson carb dialled in correct and everything is working just right that is the closest thing to fuel injection out there.

Last edited:
Big carbs have poor low speed performance.
I have worked at this an its real hard to fix.

Its a velocity issue, air blowing threw is too slow relative to throat diameter.
when you open it right up the velocity picks up faster than the fuel flow.
Its a game of catch up until you cam pull the fuel along to get it to run decent.
A couple of fixes:
higher idle speed and richer mixture on the low side.
Your going to have to tap the throttle to keep it from drowning out at low speed with all that fuel.

I have that issue and can't say there is anything else to do.

Racing carbs do not idle.
Race engines race.....

When your running it ( actual race ) and you get off the throttle the high vacuum you pull draws a rich mixture into the engine.
When you come out of a corner or down a hill the engine is loaded down with fuel.
Your primed for the next time you crack the throttle wide and no bog.

But if your just coming off the idle and your set lean for a clean idle you lack that cushion of extra fuel.
Watch the drag bikes on Anna street videos.
All the guys are tapping the throttle and you can hear how fat the mixtures are.
this precisely explains how mine is running with the 27mm on it. and is running good, was told to leave it alone as far as jetting, need to fine tune it a little...

Even in the WKA and AKRA kart racing with a .615 bore stockish carb we run a .24-.28 low side jet and have to blip the throttle to keep to from loading up.
But it does not stumble coming off the corner.

FYI a stock carb with a little work done.. ie...bored to .670 will support 17-20 hp... And they are super easy to tune.