Blue Magic - Bonanza BC1300 project

Recently pulled her out from under my moms kayak and identified her with the help of the kind folks of this forum. Ive decided she deserves a proper mini bike life. So it begins.. :thumbsup:

Short term plan is to get her running. Long term I'd love to trick her out (or restore) but we'll see where it goes. I love the blue and it's my understanding that it's a common 'Bonanza blue' so that won't change, even if repainted.

I have limited experience with engines but I'm excited to learn with this project. Any help, comments or encouragement is welcome.

BLUE MAGIC, let's do this :pimp:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome aboard Billy, and what cool blue ride ! :thumbsup: Yea get it up and going first and have some fun with It ! Good Luck .

So the story goes..

This was my dads way of shutting me up when I was young and wanted something with an engine, ha. When we went to look at it, it clearly hadn't been ridden in some time. I hopped on and wailed on the throttle, which stuck, launching it off a hill, full bore. Just the thrill I wanted, we bought it, I believe for 60 bucks. Had a lot of fun on it in my early teens, all around the property, up and down our road, racing the neighbor kid on his little 50cc. It actually ran well at the time, all we did was lube up the throttle, install the little kill switch over the spark plug and patch up the torn seat with duct tape. My life was consumed by other things in high school and the following years, leaving the bike out behind the garage, unused, under moms kayak..

I'm 24 now, since high school I've been living in the San Francisco Bay Area sailing professionally (working and racing on sailboats). Long story short, a couple months ago I decided the sailing industry wasn't where I wanted my career. I've moved home temporarily to prepare for the Navy, where I hope to pursue an enlistment as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I have some time on my hands, which I haven't had in years and I have interest in custom bikes, cars, woodworking, carpentry, etc. So this is a perfect little low-cost project.

Looking forward to digging into this thing :scooter:

Decided to start by dealing with the pull cord. Pulled the flywheel cover off, took apart the whole getup, soaked and cleaned everything. Only issue is that the spring was broken, just a couple inches from the end. I don't have a torch, but I do have a friend that's blacksmith capable, so I'll have to run it by him to get the broken end bent.

Next up will be cleaning out the little fuel tank and seeing what the story is with the carb. Try to get it functional and decide whether it's worth replacing long term. The engine turns over and used to run well so I'm optimistic with some basic cleaning it'll fire up

image.jpg

BB I think the end that is broken off originally had a "key" looking shape to it...not bent. You'd probably do better to just buy a replacement spring, you would have to anneal the spring or grind the shape back in it.

LOL he said low cost project!! :blink: :laugh:Thats a common misconception! Welcome aboard Billy!! :thumbsup:

I come from a world of carbon fiber and titanium, among many other ridiculously expensive materials and labor. Not that I was writing the checks, but I'd call this pretty low-cost

BB I think the end that is broken off originally had a "key" looking shape to it...not bent. You'd probably do better to just buy a replacement spring, you would have to anneal the spring or grind the shape back in it.
It was just bent and hooked around a gap in the side of its housing...

Last edited:
I'm 6 Dog's younger friend, Geno. Do you know of any good mini bike trails in your neck of the woods? Nothing too radical, but good mini bike terrain for a couple of young cruisers like 6Dog and myself. (We both are on the North side of 50. Not highway 50, but 50 years old!).

I'm 24 now, since high school I've been living in the San Francisco Bay Area sailing professionally (working and racing on sailboats). Long story short, a couple months ago I decided the sailing industry wasn't where I wanted my career. I've moved home temporarily to prepare for the Navy, where I hope to pursue an enlistment as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I have some time on my hands, which I haven't had in years and I have interest in custom bikes, cars, woodworking, carpentry, etc. So this is a perfect little low-cost project.
Awesome. Spent a career in USMC Herks. We'd call you guys PEDRO- which was the CH46 SAR platform then. Once in Japan, one of our pilots had a buddy on the PEDRO bird and got us a joy ride with them on a local training mission. One of our guys was late, so the swimmer instructed him to hurry up into his poop suit, as we were all waiting aboard. This guy shows up and sees us, all strapped in wearing flight suits, he being the only one in bright orange.

Needless to say, he was "downed aviator" that day! We hovered in low, dumped him into the Sea of Japan, (cold as hell) and flew off in a big circle. The guy didn't have a clue as to what was going on. We came back in low, and swimmer jumped in and hooked him up. Pretty neat experience.

I was an amature sailor most of my adult life. I was able to do a lot of racing in Asia. We (and other skippers) were always looking for crew, so with your experience, you will be in high demand as crew- and every base with a body of water has a marina. It was especially rewarding to race under Japanese rules with mostly Japanese owned boats to outter islands. Always a party afterwards on some island, then back home the next day. They used a bastardized version of IOR rules, even though some of them had some hotrods- Elliot one-off schooners for example racing against Beneteau First series boats. Cheating bastards. But we still had fun. Sounds like your life is headed for some great times!

I'm 6 Dog's younger friend, Geno. Do you know of any good mini bike trails in your neck of the woods? Nothing too radical, but good mini bike terrain for a couple of young cruisers like 6Dog and myself. (We both are on the North side of 50. Not highway 50, but 50 years old!).
I don't, sorry. I just moved back and when I lived here before I only really took the bike out on and around my property. I'm sure there are some though, just might have to push some mtn bikes out of the way..

Thanks for your decision to serve our country.
Rescue swimmer is not for the weak.
Thank you.

Great project.
I'm only a civilian until I swear, but I look forward to that day and I'm working hard towards it. Thanks for the acknowledgment.

Awesome. Spent a career in USMC Herks. We'd call you guys PEDRO- which was the CH46 SAR platform then. Once in Japan, one of our pilots had a buddy on the PEDRO bird and got us a joy ride with them on a local training mission. One of our guys was late, so the swimmer instructed him to hurry up into his poop suit, as we were all waiting aboard. This guy shows up and sees us, all strapped in wearing flight suits, he being the only one in bright orange.

Needless to say, he was "downed aviator" that day! We hovered in low, dumped him into the Sea of Japan, (cold as hell) and flew off in a big circle. The guy didn't have a clue as to what was going on. We came back in low, and swimmer jumped in and hooked him up. Pretty neat experience.

I was an amature sailor most of my adult life. I was able to do a lot of racing in Asia. We (and other skippers) were always looking for crew, so with your experience, you will be in high demand as crew- and every base with a body of water has a marina. It was especially rewarding to race under Japanese rules with mostly Japanese owned boats to outter islands. Always a party afterwards on some island, then back home the next day. They used a bastardized version of IOR rules, even though some of them had some hotrods- Elliot one-off schooners for example racing against Beneteau First series boats. Cheating bastards. But we still had fun. Sounds like your life is headed for some great times!
Very cool! I can't wait, it'll be a long hard road but most things worthwhile and rewarding are just that. I come from a family of 50+ years in the Navy and look to be the only member of this generation to be going that route so I'm humbled and honored at the opportunity. Not to mention how it should set me up for life after the fact.

Really appreciate your guys' encouraging words though. You definitely get some mixed reactions and opinions when you go down this path.

A little progress!

Got the gas tank all cleaned out. Wasn't bad at all, I don't think there was any feul in it when it laid down under moms kayak. A little soapy water and some BBs did the trick real quick. :thumbsup:

Next I got the carb off. It was pretty significantly dirty and had a certain amount of gunk built up in it, but nothing carb cleaner couldn't clean right up. The seal for the little fuel can just fell to pieces so that'll force me to get a rebuild kit. Other than that everything cleaned up fine, but it won't hurt to replace working parts for 10 bucks..

Any info on what other (hopefully cheap and simple) things I should tend to just to get her running for now is welcome, as far as the ole Tecumsa HS40 goes :thumbsup:

Other than that, for now, ill just be cleaning her up and trying to get the rear wheel to spin :blink:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just a note...that carb has a couple of passage ways that are so small they are almost invisible but it's imperative that they be cleaned in order for it to function properly. You can use a piece of tag wire or strip the plastic off a bread twist tie to clear them. I'll see if I can find a pic of the location....

I should note.. I can't really even attempt to fire it up until I deal with the the pull start recoil situation. I'll throw up a picture of that deal. Looks to me that I can just hear it and bend it the way it used to be, no? I have a buddy that can help me with it and probably even temper it too. If I can't fix it I suppose a local shop might have one..

image.jpg

image.jpg