Boonie Bike Question

Very new to this site and have a simple question. got a boonie bike and it was in pieces. Orginal owner couldn't tell me if it came with a 2 speed shifter and cable. Does the bike need a shifter and cable to operate? Will it work in an automatic mode between gears like a TAV? The simple question is do I need a shifter to make it operable? The bike is still in pieces. thanks

I dont know about the original ones since all 3 of my Boonies were missing that part. I have been told all the new 2 speed jackshaft/clutch assy change on there own when you get to a certain speed the higher ratio kicks in.:scooter:

it will work but not like a tav, the cable is to stop one of the gears i belive. you dont need the cable to run it though. Post a pic when you get a chance!

Oldsalt

I really believe all the Boonies had the 2-speed jackshaft assemblies. That is all I have ever seen. The special clutch with double sprockets and the jackshaft with the special 'one way clutch' are still available. You'll have about a hundred or so involved to get those parts.

welcome to OldMiniBikes.com

check out dean hamlin`s heathkit boonie bike pictures on minidoodle.com
...he has two that were modified.

i recently picked up a boonie frame and rear wheel assemble. no front end.
however we did have 4 tri-sport front ends we had bought from a gentleman here in town about a year or so ago.
my grandson and i mounted a alsport trike... (tri-sport) front end on the boonie bike.

we plan to modify the engine compartment as well.
i was getting some ideas off of dean`s pictures for an engine etc.

good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

welcome to OldMiniBikes.com

check out dean hamlin`s heathkit boonie bike pictures on minidoodle.com
...he has two that were modified.

i recently picked up a boonie frame and rear wheel assemble. no front end.
however we did have 4 tri-sport front ends we had bought from a gentleman here in town about a year or so ago.
my grandson and i mounted a alsport trike... (tri-sport) front end on the boonie bike.

we plan to modify the engine compartment as well.
i was getting some ideas off of dean`s pictures for an engine etc.

good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

Pics of that front end please ;) Would it be more a Boonie chopper? :shrug:

Pics of that front end please ;) Would it be more a Boonie chopper? :shrug:
thank you for your interest.:thumbsup:

3 of the 4 tri-sport front ends are different from one another.

one has a spoked wheel with headlight,.. and turn signals,.. with spring shocks. also a brake.

two have the smaller tire,..similar to the boonie bike.
these two front ends also have the shocks .

the last one has a 18 8.50 8 tire, never had shocks.
this is the one we have mounted on the boonie bike.

it`s my understanding there is still another variant that has the 18 8.50 8 tire, with springs.

all the front ends we purchased came with ape hangers.

the boonie bike now has the same size front and rear tire (18 8.50 8) and has a somewhat similar look to the heald,..but not quite same.

my grandson and i used the same size tire on one of the super broncs front and rear. giving it a lower appearance.

i haven`t attached the (tri-sport) spoked wheel front end, for comparison.
but,..that would be interesting too.

i`ll try and remember to take a picture next time i`m working on it.
it`s sandwiched in with some other bikes and at the moment, i`m working on a bearcat twister.

appreciate the questions...