Brake setups

I was wanderin if anyone is willing to show me their brake setups? i could use some ideas for a space saving rear brake setup. thanks

I have two bikes with disk brakes, two bikes with internal drum brakes, two bikes with scrub brakes, and three bikes with band/external hub brakes...

Hands down, the band/hub brakes are my favorite...when properly installed they offer excellent 'feel' and operate with one finger on the lever because friction from the rotating hub does most of the work.

Number three is still on the build bench...

I have two bikes with disk brakes, two bikes with internal drum brakes, two bikes with scrub brakes, and three bikes with band/external hub brakes...

Hands down, the band/hub brakes are my favorite...when properly installed they offer excellent 'feel' and operate with one finger on the lever because friction from the rotating hub does most of the work.

Number three is still on the build bench...
Can I see a picture of your mounting plate for the rear wheel band brake please?

Could you do a set up like that on the front fork's and wheel ?

danc9

Great Job

Yellowhand, this is my favorite set up yet, thanks for sharing! I'm looking to do something similar but with cable/linkage.

DAN

Really nice. I would love to have something like that I could mount on the axle. I don't have a spot for the second attachment point though.
Great work. You have any extras?

KD
No, I make each one to fit the specific bike/frame I'm building...

But they're easy to make...

3/16" plate steel cut to the desired shape with an angle grinder or saber saw fitted with a BLU-MOL blade...

Drill a 5/8" hole for the axle...

Drill another hole in a chosen location for a bolt or pin attached to the frame to keep the plate from spinning when the brake is applied...

Put the plate on the frame, clamp the band to the drum and scribe for a hole to weld the band pin into...

Fab up a small cable stop plate and weld it to the brake plate and it's done...

:shrug::shrug:I can see making the bracket , but dont you need to have the right kind of wheels to be able to mount that brake drum to the wheel/hub :shrug:

:shrug::shrug:I can see making the bracket , but dont you need to have the right kind of wheels to be able to mount that brake drum to the wheel/hub :shrug:
That's an Azusa setup. They sell the wheels, drum, and bands. The drums are drilled for a variety of bolt patterns. Check their site. :thumbsup:

well i havnt run this bike yet but this brake seems like its gonna work really well. Its just a cheapo ebay caliper mounted in the stock cat location. I made the bracket to mount the cable because i didnt want to weld on another bracket since my frame was already painted.

Last edited:
hi yellowhand, where did you get this metal piece that holds the brake band in place? (the 3/8 in ch rod ) i would like to weld one onto my frame and try this break band setup. thanks.

Last edited:
hi yellowhand, where did you get this metal piece that holds the brake band in place? (the 3/8 in ch rod ) i would like to weld one onto my frame and try this break band setup. thanks.
...or you could slide this one over the axle and weld a bolt tab to the frame to keep it from spinning when the brake is applied...$8 for the mounting plate plus $5.90 Priority Mail shipping...PM me if you'd like one...or eight.