Briggs repair?

Hi guys
Are there any truly interested small engine repair shops that can restore a vintage 5hp Briggs anymore. I am finding in my area that they want to just disguard the vintage Briggs for a $100 predator or suchlike and have more weed eaters and mowers than they can handle and are just not interested, whiskey breath might be the other reason lol. If there is a place to find a person that can truly understand the reasons to restore this engine this is the place. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to "freshen up" this piece of American history. You would think I could find such a person in California but.....having trouble thanks

Old, I understand your problem and I can tell you from experience that it can take from twenty five to sixty hours to do a complete overhaul on a Briggs motor. Repair shops are in business to make a profit and can't afford to spend that kind of time on one motor. Even if you could find a shop willing to do it for ten bucks an hour the cost would become prohibitive. That's why people who restore minibikes and cars rarely send their projects out for restoration. Unless you're Jay Leno. You're best bet is to educate yourself about Briggs motors and dig in. You'll make some mistakes but you will learn a lot too. I just finished restoring ten motors (pic below) and it took a little more than ten months. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself. And it will make you feel good too. Ogy

Attachments

Old, I understand your problem and I can tell you from experience that it can take from twenty five to sixty hours to do a complete overhaul on a Briggs motor. Repair shops are in business to make a profit and can't afford to spend that kind of time on one motor. Even if you could find a shop willing to do it for ten bucks an hour the cost would become prohibitive. That's why people who restore minibikes and cars rarely send their projects out for restoration. Unless you're Jay Leno. You're best bet is to educate yourself about Briggs motors and dig in. You'll make some mistakes but you will learn a lot too. I just finished restoring ten motors (pic below) and it took a little more than ten months. Give it a try. You might surprise yourself. And it will make you feel good too. Ogy
Thanks, I have looked into the "required" tools and such and have purchased a repair manual, just looks like a lot of sleepless nights to me haha, I Haven't asked any of the shops to give an estimate but I'm sure I would be shocked. I would feel good your right but my anxiety would make it tough lol. I'm thinking I might give it ago, my 69 t100 taco just wouldn't look right without the correct engine besides isn't it illegal to put a Chinese engine into a classic? Yuk yuk!

"Good luck" finding a small engine shop to perform a true "restoration" on a 5HP Briggs! LOL Even if you DID find one, which is a real long shot, I seriously doubt you would be willing to pay what they would quote you! As others have already stated - LEARN and do it yourself. What repair/service manual do you have?
Here is the one you want to start off with: Briggs Stratton Service and Repair Instruction Service Manual 270962 3 84 | eBay
This is the exact same repair manual that my son started of with when he was just 15 years old on his first 2 HP Briggs restoration. He is 20 years old now has done MANY engines since and even interned in a couple of full service/repair shops. One of those shops was with local kart racing legend Terry Nash of Hyper Racing in Upland , CA where he learned about performance-building. A couple of years ago , he took his certification exams (about 8 if memory serves me correctly) with Briggs and Stratton and earned his "Briggs Master Service Technician" certification. Aside from the proud dad bragging about his son (I'm guilty as charged) my point is that YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO THIS if you have the interest, a good manual, and the help of the many talented and supportive members on this forum. Finally, the pride and gratification you will have after completing your engine restoration will be PRICELESS.
Michael