Cat 3509 (Muskin Wildcat)

Probably the most uncomfortable, and worst riding bike HPE-Muskin ever produced. It was based on the Cat 400 frame, but with a longer forks, shallow rake, large, easy to bend axle tabs, and a grab bar behind the seat. Badged "Endura," it was nothing like the remaining Endura line, which had swing arm suspension, and TC88 drives.

Known best for being a good bike to take parts off of, I ended up with an original 1974 Cat Wildcat several years ago. I promised the seller, a member here back then, that I would never part it out.

In 2012, I did a light restoration on it, chroming a few things, and rebuilding the original H35 Tecumseh. This is one of my Grandsons and yours truly taking it for a spin back then.

After stripping the original, and badly damaged paint, I sanded it and added turn limits to keep the trees off of the frame. I had more left over red base coat from other projects, so opted to use it. I added a lot of rose pearl to the paint. Then I added more, and more. I applied an epoxy primer, then three coats of the red, followed by three coats of urethane clear.

The plastic Cat fuel tank was leaking badly. I melted the outside splits as best as I could, then coated the inside of the tank with Caswell's Sealer. I'd already stolen the long chain guard, so obtained a shorter one and welded on some 18 ga, sheet that I fabricated to represent the original one. All decals were re-used from the previous restoration by using "goo gone" and acetone, then applying a quality 3M adhesive spray. Tedious job. Kenny seat from 2012.

I stripped the wheels down, and cleaned off the surface rust. I made a simple truing stand which uses the Tecumseh timing tool.

It's a roller.

After tearing the engine down, I noted the valves were worn and pitted. The bore had some light scratches, and was both hour-glassed and oblong from wear. Both valves and rings were replaced, along with carburetor, points, condenser, and magneto.

It does not take a lot of money and equipment to paint mini bikes. I have been painting with this setup for years. The little compressors last me five years, and I toss them out and buy a new one. Total cost of my paint system is about $300.

Close up of the engine paint. Urethane single stage, far too glossy for an original looking engine.

After a quick test ride, (still handles as bad as it always did) I shot these final photos.

1stBxMopar

Great lookin bike, even better is the picture of you riding with your grandson, brought me back in time to when I used to ride like that with all my kids, now even the youngest is getting too big to ride with me..They grow up too fast..........

I almost hesitate to quote anyone now that the forum does a notification at the top, where we think there may actually be something INTERESTING happening, but nope, just a garage hack commenting on your comments! LMAO!

Nice Work Dave !!!
Thanks Derek, I am not surprised you were the first to comment! :laugh: Obviously, I took some liberties with this bike. In addition to welding on fork stops, the pegs and grips are wrong, huge washers on rear axle are there to provide support for the lousy axle tabs that bend too easily. This is the first one I've seen with chrome bars, but some of them did come that way, including the fuzzy brochure photo. Something I did not realize until recently, was that these also sported the Endura plastic seat pan. The bike is very high geared, and the air filter hitting the rear fender prevents me from moving the engine back far enough for the chain to not run in the plastic guide. LOL, this design sucked. I used rubber impregnated washers on the fenders. That was a cool thing to do, because they DO crack.

Great lookin bike, even better is the picture of you riding with your grandson, brought me back in time to when I used to ride like that with all my kids, now even the youngest is getting too big to ride with me..They grow up too fast..........
Thanks, I hesitated to include that photo, since it's not exactly the epitome of safety gear represented in those pajamas! The same grand son was here recently, now nearly ten years old, and was hitting me up for rides on my Tote Gote. This bike is his, although the poor handling characteristics are going to relegate it to garage queen status with occasional start ups by his Dad, 600 miles North.

Beautiful job for sure Dave !! It's a keeper even if it rides like crap , lol
Thanks Ang, going to the grand kid, out of site, out of mind. It lived with them for five years, until I saw it neglected and ordered the immediate return of the machine for a thorough restoration. As Dads and Grand Dads, we wield tremendous power, and can do things like "order immediate returns," then spend a lot of money and time, and summarily give the machine back, hoping that "this time," it wont be neglected. :wink:

Looks great as always!
Thanks Davis, you often have positive things to say about my builds, and with your abilities and expertise, is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Looks Great, Nice Job:thumbsup: Sorry it doesnt ride as good as it looks. I had one so i know where your coming from.
Thanks John, I know you know your Cats! I've restored every version of Cat now, except the TS, and by far, this model represents compromise at every turn. It is as if HPE Muskin took the worst traits of their 400X line, and their Endura line, and rolled them all into this design. It is the only Cat I have left, and it too will be leaving the garage to go to another home.

That paint looks way good. You right, looks great, rides bad.
Thanks Tom. I posted the embarrassing photo of my "paint booth" to illustrate that it doesn't take a whole lot of equipment to paint our bikes. I find using a gun to be far easier than using a paint can. Easier to control, easier to hold the trigger, can adjust the stream to get the tiny bits. You know me well enough to know how much I enjoy the creativity involved with mixing paints and substrates, and doing some experimentation. It is by far, my favorite aspect of the entire hobby. The only down side is having to clean the paint gun, when I'd rather be enjoying a cold one, looking at the finished work. The other bad part, (and I was thinking about this) is having to sweep where the R/T was sitting after I moved it out of the garage.

Thanks all, my signature tells the story. Now that this is done, I can devote what little brain cells I have remaining to my build off project.

No. Not only did I not see it, I didn't know the bike was MFGR'd for the WT Grant Co. I wonder what the decals looked like. I do (think) I recall seeing this model built for the Canadian market, and perhaps this was the one used. Zeller (Canadian Co.) owned 10% of Grant before Grant went belly-up.

Thank you for bringing this up Markus. In hindsite, it would have been unique and more enjoyable to build this one badged after the Grant model, although I never did have a photo example. (It was green, perhaps like the kart they built)

Agreed, that seller has some cool literature. I was looking at the same old Cats, with completely different names and colors than what we see in the Muskin brochures. Cool stuff! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Agreed, that seller has some cool literature. I was looking at the same old Cats, with completely different names and colors than what we see in the Muskin brochures. Cool stuff! Thanks! :thumbsup:
That literature on ebay is neat, I recently laid eyes on a similar set:innocent:

That last tank I sent out your way came off of one of those Wildcat's I parted out for the same ride-ability issue:laugh:

Last edited:
I've received some emails and PM's on this bike, since some of us recently saw this bike on ebay. I saw that on the original listing and on at least one of the later "removed parts" listings, my "Forum Handle" is used. I'm not striving to make any internet enemies, but rather than ignoring the elephant in the room, I'll offer my comments here in public.

For those who weren't around in 2012, you can scroll up and see where I comment on this light restoration of a not-so-desirable mini cycle. I repaired the leaky tank by melting plastic into the seams. I was able to get a shorter chain guard, so I cut it in half, and welded on a sheet metal extension to make a long guard out of it.

It did run pretty good eight years ago. I always had some issues with that Chinese carb. The chrome bill for the exhaust and the bars just about equaled the trade value of $500 had on it when I made the trade- which was a very fair trade, if not slanted in my favor, since I did price the bike at about $500 in it's fully restored state.

You can see my grandson sitting in the front trying to not look at the camera, in his pajamas. He and I woke up pretty early, and sneaked out for an early morning ride. That freshly chromed Taylor didn't muffle the throaty roar of three point five horsepower of L-headed obsolescence, and my wife came out and took the photo. Make what you will about my piss-poor grand parenting and lack of helmet. I promise, since then, I have changed my ways. These days, this grandson is a young man, smart, and doing very well in school. I hadn't seen the photo above in a long time, and a lot has happened to him since it was taken, including the deaths of his mother, and his uncle. It's nice to see that photo with the hint of a smile on his face.

I have to admit, seeing it on Ebay, all in pieces makes me sad. In hindsight, I'd have rather seen it getting dusty and ignored in my garage, than busted up on Ebay with parts for sale to the highest bidder.

I know they're just "things" and if it bothers me so much, I should have kept it. That is true. But I never anticipated seeing it in pieces on Ebay either. Maybe someone needs money bad enough that they're willing to dismantle a vintage, restored mini bike to pay rent, or get medicine for their kids. I don't know. I hope it was worth it.