Cat Survivor

Picked up this CAT today. Complete and original. Clutch cover says Slingshot, but none of the brochures I've seen look quite like this. Has a springer seat, brochures I've seen don't show that.
Anyway.....I'll probably strighten the forks, give it a good clean-up and leave it original for now.
There's a few more pics in my photos.

Mac

Funny........
That's an Eliminator.
The Slingshot seat mounts solid.

I wonder who got the Slingshot frame.

My hunch is that this was made on a year that nobody seems to have brochures for. Or it was built on a "use what ya got" day.

It's too complete for me to beleive that it was pieced together. Move the clutch cover and forks from a Slingshot to an Eliminator frame? Color matches too good too.

tomsprops

I just checked ovr at minidoodle and I'm gonna say " It's a Cat 400x" ! The disc brake was only availible on 2 different models . The 400x and the 400 "eliminator". The 400x has the same fork as yours in the Pineapple Flan color . The Eliminator had a chrome for with springs .
What ever it is it sure looks like it's in Great Shape ! Get out the Pledge ! :thumbsup:
Also another product I've been useing is Turttle Wax Bug & Tar remover . Spray it on the Old Greassy Engine parts and hit it with a brush . The Crap just falls off ! :thumbsup:

My hunch is that this was made on a year that nobody seems to have brochures for. Or it was built on a "use what ya got" day.QUOTE]

NICE I would have to agree with you on this Scooter
Although the color is the same color as was the 400X and the same handle bar and clutch cover stickers.
So my guess is its one of the first production model Slingshot built from left
over parts.
Either way real nice:thumbsup:

I'm looking at my Cat Muskin brochure right now. That bike looks just like the Dominator Model R4002 that's pictured without a tank. Could those be mounting tabs on the top rail for a tank ? The Dominator's clutch cover is longer but it's already been pointed out that this one's been changed. You can't rely on the minidoodle site. 90% of those bikes are incorrect. The colors are all correct too.

Not trying to start a big debate here......I just think it's cool when something different pops up.
The guy I bought it from was the original owner. It got stuck in the shed years ago.

SlingShot right on the clutch cover. I'm sure that's what it is.

I know Bonanza built "non-brochure" bikes....I'm sure others did too.

What years were CATs Produced. Just '69 , '70, '72 like the brochures over at MiniDoodle??

I'm looking at my Cat Muskin brochure right now. That bike looks just like the Dominator Model R4002 that's pictured without a tank. Could those be mounting tabs on the top rail for a tank ? The Dominator's clutch cover is longer but it's already been pointed out that this one's been changed. You can't rely on the minidoodle site. 90% of those bikes are incorrect. The colors are all correct too.
What year is your brochure??

Good eye, but what you see on the top rail is the on/off switch and a cable clip that's turned.

I beleive the clutch cover is original to the bike as is everything else.

I agree about the brochures. I think brochures are what the mfg. INTENDED the bikes to look like at the time they made the brochure.

I think everyone that thinks it a 400x is right. I have two Eliminators. The handle bars decal says Eliminator on it. And i know the Dominator and Slingshots were that way. The 400x just had Cat on the decal. I guessing that maybe back in the day some kid wanted the Eliminator/Dominator seat and sissy bar added it to the bike because his Friend had one, so they purchased it for the bike when Cat parts were available. The chain guard is probably been replace too since about every one I find is missing them. Also the Slingshots had a decal under the rear seat to a Flat bar weld across the frame that said Slingshot on it. Eliminator and Dominator did not have that.
Anyways that is still a cool bike and I would straighten front forks and repaint it and run it the way it is. Great find. The Cats have a cool old school look to them.

No year given in the brochure and no litho # either. I don't think it's older than a 1971(brochure) because it's got the Dune Cat in it also and all the info I have on the Dune Cat's point to 1971. The brochure shows a SlingShot and it is very different from yours. It looks like the clutch cover bolts to the engine so that would be an easy change when one got lost. For some reason most clutch cover got tossed in the 70's. A very nice looking bike.

My guess you have a late 1969 early 1970 Slingshot before the version with the slingshot decal. And was pieced together by the factory based on what the slingshot would become in future production models.. But thats just my 2 cents So the debate continues.
And I had an original 1969 Cat 400X bought in 1969 and it is NOT a pieced together 400X:thefinger:

Nice. :thumbsup: Maybe I shoulda taken the 45 min drive. :thefinger: Forgot what the price was though.

Doubt it's a slingshot and they could have thrown on any chain gaurd at the factory. Try and date the engine for year. :thumbsup: