Doodlebug 6.5 engine swap kit

I'm looking at getting a DB30 from Northern Tool and doing the 6.5hp conversion. Any tips, comments, concerns?
Click on this link:

Baja MotorSports Doodle Bug Mini Bike — 97cc, Model# DB30 | Minibikes + Dirt Bikes | Northern Tool + Equipment

Print out the website ad for the DB30 and take it to the Northern Tool store. They will give you the internet price of $259.99 instead of the $299.99 store price if you present them the printed out ad.

Also, if you purchase a DB30 that is already assembled, they will charge you a $25 assembly fee. If you buy one still in the box there is no charge, of course.

I did all this 3 weekends ago here in Virginia.

Jimmy S.

Click on this link:

Baja MotorSports Doodle Bug Mini Bike — 97cc, Model# DB30 | Minibikes + Dirt Bikes | Northern Tool + Equipment

Print out the website ad for the DB30 and take it to the Northern Tool store. They will give you the internet price of $259.99 instead of the $299.99 store price if you present them the printed out ad.

Also, if you purchase a DB30 that is already assembled, they will charge you a $25 assembly fee. If you buy one still in the box there is no charge, of course.

I did all this 3 weekends ago here in Virginia.

Jimmy S.
Done and done.....I bought a garden cart from them last week and saw the DB30....thats when they let lose of the little price secret so I printed out the page and brought it up there. Just finished putting together my DB30 and I have to say it's well underpowered. Waiting to hear from cjtmini about the parts kit availability before I pull the trigger on a Lifan 6.5hp here locally.

Thanks for the good info though

Just finished putting together my DB30 and I have to say it's well underpowered. Waiting to hear from cjtmini about the parts kit availability before I pull the trigger on a Lifan 6.5hp here locally.
Here's a few things to make the stock DB30 go better until you do the engine swap:

1.) Change the oil.

2.) Pump up the air pressure in the rear tire (20 psi is what most use as rule of thumb).

3.) Drill out the muffler. Two 3/8" holes through the exhaust outlet in the muffler. Be a good idea to remove the muffler first.

4.) Back out (or remove) the throttle stop screw.

5.) Experiment with the choke lever. Some DB30's run better with the choke somewhere between the on and off positions.

6.) Use high test (or "premium") gas.

When you order the 6.5 clone installation kit from cjtmini, be patient for the delivery. I live in Virginia and it took 5 days for the kit to get here from Michigan.

Jimmy S.

Im 250lbs and my stock 6.5 worked great. Im a speed nut so I could not just have a stock motor. Im pushing 15hp now and I think Im done. Its scary going 20 and pulling the throttle back and feeling the front end get light, even though your leaning forward.

It was just a matter of time after the conversion my daughter crashed the DB into a fence. The db sat on it's side running until I could get over to shut it off. She is okay, now the DB has a punctuted seat and when I went to start it after the third pull it started, but put out smoke, so I shut it down, There was a puddle of oil/gas under the back of the motor under the exhaust:censure: Does anyone know what I should do next? I am tempted to just start it up and burn it off. Anyone?

Im 250lbs and my stock 6.5 worked great. Im a speed nut so I could not just have a stock motor. Im pushing 15hp now and I think Im done. Its scary going 20 and pulling the throttle back and feeling the front end get light, even though your leaning forward.
Hey "vette66_00" i have the same senario i am also a 250lbs rider and i have a speed crave as well i am going around all on the internet looking for some mods on my mini bike but nothing to legit. what are some mods i can do or purchase to try to hit that 15hp like you have for yours. if you dont mind listing some mods off for me that would be great?? well i just purchased a 6.5baja engine and hoping that is gonna do the job till mods come into play. but if need be i can purchase a new or bigger motor hey man whatever works. i just found out bout the ready to race 6.5hp engines for around $325 + shipping. well sorry for just goin on and on i just want to get up that major speed thanks for any help you got to offer.

If you guys had a clue you would not need a kit. just engine and clutch.
I did mine without the kit but advise people that do not have an abundance of mechanical ability to use one! Hacking on them and saying they have no clue is arrogant and rude! Not to mention there are members here who worked really hard to get these kits together for those who need them! You often have critical comments, which you have every right to do! We live in the land of the free, for now! Which gives me the right to say :thefinger:!

george3

Forgot to mention. if you have done it with out a kit so can they. send them a card board cut-out of the pattern, and a drill bit. the inexpensive kit.

What I say is true and a fact. easy to do with out a kit.
Not for everyone! Like I said I did mine without one, you obviously did yours as well! But not everyone has the skill to do so, also the kit has features I do not have such as infinite adjustability and a better throttle hookup a clone specific clutch etc. And the guys who make it a father son/daughter project can do it with handtools and in a relatively short time they can be riding! I do have a template but will not send it to anyone, I support and respect the guys who sell the kits and would not undermine their efforts to sell them!

Hey "vette66_00" i have the same senario i am also a 250lbs rider and i have a speed crave as well i am going around all on the internet looking for some mods on my mini bike but nothing to legit. what are some mods i can do or purchase to try to hit that 15hp like you have for yours. if you dont mind listing some mods off for me that would be great?? well i just purchased a 6.5baja engine and hoping that is gonna do the job till mods come into play. but if need be i can purchase a new or bigger motor hey man whatever works. i just found out bout the ready to race 6.5hp engines for around $325 + shipping. well sorry for just goin on and on i just want to get up that major speed thanks for any help you got to offer.
Sent you a PM