Drag racing clutch

Cyanide

ive got a briggs 5 horse with mods: straight 3 stage header, billet rod, milled head, 03-ss cam, lapped valves, advanced timing, 3 horse flywheel, blueprinted carb, and minor block work pushing 15 hp now. it seems to have a load at idle and the clutch starts smoking after a 1/8 mile pass. its a basic max torque clutch, so what clutch should i use for drag racing on this motor thats not too expensive?

cxbra

Look for Minidragbike, send him a private message asking "racing clutches" and im sure he'll tell you run Noram clutches. They have a few different types, but I think he runs Noram GE clutches. He said in another post that those are the only clutches he runs (he's at 25+hp easily).

korndog

ive got a briggs 5 horse with mods: straight 3 stage header, billet rod, milled head, 03-ss cam, lapped valves, advanced timing, 3 horse flywheel, blueprinted carb, and minor block work pushing 15 hp now. it seems to have a load at idle and the clutch starts smoking after a 1/8 mile pass. its a basic max torque clutch, so what clutch should i use for drag racing on this motor thats not too expensive?
If you call dyno, they will tell you where to set the clutch for peak torque. It's a stock class cheater cam, so they will probably tell you to set the engagement at 4000-4300. Your current clutch kicks in at 2200.
MDB has a list of clutches that do well at the drag races and ones that blow up. For drum/shoe clutches he recommended the Premier Titan or Stinger clutch to me. They are fairly reasonably priced for a racing clutch.

MDB, Suggested the Noram Premier with a needle bearing. The needle bearing comes on 13 tooth and up. I have a 12 tooth on my DB and a 13 and 14 for my BD.

Call BMI Karts... Not Advanced Drive Systems. BMI will set you up. You will have to spin the shoes around to get it to work "inboard",, sprocket facing the motor. You will also need to get some 3/8" washers to shim the offset from a hardware store. Tell them what shaft size and so forth. Orange springs....:thumbsup:

TT

korndog

MDB, Suggested the Noram Premier with a needle bearing. The needle bearing comes on 13 tooth and up. I have a 12 tooth on my DB and a 13 and 14 for my BD.

Call BMI Karts... Not Advanced Drive Systems. BMI will set you up. You will have to spin the shoes around to get it to work "inboard",, sprocket facint to the motor. You will also need to get some 3/8" washers to shim the offset from a hardware store. Tell them what shaft size and so forth.....:thumbsup:

TT
I think you are referring to the Titan. I have read on the kart sites that some racers run them backwards intentionally and get a smoother engagement; but yeah, the instructions will show you how to switch the plates. I also have a good way to change springs if you have to. It's a bitch without the right tool.

Just fyi, The Titan is the clutch that comes with a Briggs World Formula engine. Many kart racers have this clutch on a shelf in the original box.
I bought mine brand new for $60.00 vs. the $110.00 BMI charges. Only problem is you will need to get the right sprocket (about 25 bucks). BMI price is better than most shops though. It comes with orange springs which engage fully at 4300 RPM.

KD. My first purchase through ADS was $189.00 and BMI was $139.00..

$60.00 is a steal of a deal....Congrats on that....

$$TT:thumbsup:

DMR

Get a Horstman Greased Lightning, thats what I use on my 14hp Flathead, it is highly adjustable, and very dependable.

not anymore, after I posted PM sent, I was negotiating it when someone ran in behind me and grabbed it..
It's tough out there; lol. That was me, but if you need it, you can have it.
I didn't know you were looking. I bought it without the drivers for 60.00 shipped; I made offer before you posted.

125ccCrazy

It's tough out there; lol. That was me, but if you need it, you can have it.
I didn't know you were looking. I bought it without the drivers for 60.00 shipped; I made offer before you posted.
he never said anything that he had an offer....no biggie.....they aren't scarce so one will come along sometime.....Thanks for the offer....

DMR

which shoe type do i get heavy or light
Dont get a shoe clutch, get a disc clutch, Shoe clutches have minimal adjustability and will slip under high HP. I tried a shoe clutch on my briggs and it slipped like crazy. Shoe Clutches arent for Drag Racing, they stall (fully engage) too early, You'll be way quicker with an adjustable disc clutch, Just get a Horstman Greased Lightning, it is a good investment.

he never said anything that he had an offer....no biggie.....they aren't scarce so one will come along sometime.....Thanks for the offer....
I'm sure you will find one in no time.

Dont get a shoe clutch, get a disc clutch, Shoe clutches have minimal adjustability and will slip under high HP. I tried a shoe clutch on my briggs and it slipped like crazy. Shoe Clutches arent for Drag Racing, they stall (fully engage) too early, You'll be way quicker with an adjustable disc clutch, Just get a Horstman Greased Lightning, it is a good investment.
I got the titan mainly because I wanted to run a band brake and it was much cheaper than a disk clutch. Also, Minidragbike said it was a very good clutch. He said just about every other shoe clutch sucks.