engine paint?

I did a search without much luck so hear it goes....I have my HS40 blasted and ready for paint ....I washed it with hot water & dawn soap...I bought Dupli color engine enamel 500 deg.. but didn't see any 500 deg primer. Before I paint it without the primer any input?? Thanks.

vwfan79

I blasted and cleaned my engine and painted it without primer cause I couldn't find a high temp primer and it worked fine. Although I did use HVT engine paint but should be about the same.

I did a search without much luck so hear it goes....I have my HS40 blasted and ready for paint ....I washed it with hot water & dawn soap...I bought Dupli color engine enamel 500 deg.. but didn't see any 500 deg primer. Before I paint it without the primer any input?? Thanks.
All three of the "major players" in the rattle can paints (Rustoleum, Duplicolor, and VHT) make engine primers specific to their respective engine paints. You may have to look around a bit and visit a few different auto parts stores, but it is out there. We have used all three brands and you will get better (longer lasting and more durable) results when using an engine primer on bare (stripped) metal before applying the finish (paint) coat. Pay particular attention to the manufactured recommended drying and (especially) re-coating and curing times in order to obtain the most gas and oil resistant properties of these paints.
Michael

well...in my search of the "auto parts stores" that were on my way here or there I did find the dupli color engine enamel primer ..I was looking for that or self etching...anyway I can honestly say that is the first time I have read a paint label in a long long time...I think the print got way smaller....now just need the time to get it done...

JOB WELL DONE!:drinkup:
Now, the rules are that you must "reward" us with photos of that engine that we can enjoy once you get it painted and put back together- DEAL?:wink:
Michael

I use Dupli-Color on my engines...usually their "perfect color match." It comes in smaller cans and is a lil more expensive ($6 ish). I dont use engine paint or hi temp and I've painted 5-6 Tecumsehs...I've never had a problem and I run my mini's alot...You can look in my pics and see what you think.

6doggie3

I use Dupli-Color on my engines...usually their "perfect color match." It comes in smaller cans and is a lil more expensive ($6 ish). I dont use engine paint or hi temp and I've painted 5-6 Tecumsehs...I've never had a problem and I run my mini's alot...You can look in my pics and see what you think.
what about a primer?

"reward" us with photos

I got naked pics for now...all the flash from the parting lines will be blended in..

Last edited:
I don't bother with primer on my engines - Automotive or minibikes. Been building engines for decades. That said though, it's not a bad idea. I usually put my paint on thick, so really I could probably substitute a can of primer for one of the cans of paint for example on an automotive engine that I may normally use 2 - 3 cans of paint on.

The big tip I have is to hose the thing down with brake cleaner then immediately blast it off with air. I forgot to do this step the other day when I was painting the engine for my Taco 33 and it started fish-eyeing. Had to wash the fresh paint off with brake cleaner, then blasted it with air and immediately painted it again with no fish eyes. Should have known better, but got in a hurry.

6doggie3

I don't bother with primer on my engines - Automotive or minibikes. Been building engines for decades. That said though, it's not a bad idea. I usually put my paint on thick, so really I could probably substitute a can of primer for one of the cans of paint for example on an automotive engine that I may normally use 2 - 3 cans of paint on.

The big tip I have is to hose the thing down with brake cleaner then immediately blast it off with air. I forgot to do this step the other day when I was painting the engine for my Taco 33 and it started fish-eyeing. Had to wash the fresh paint off with brake cleaner, then blasted it with air and immediately painted it again with no fish eyes. Should have known better, but got in a hurry.
Great tip! And it was nice meeting you at the swap meet:thumbsup: