Evaporust: Pros and cons

I posted my thoughts on Evaporust on someone else's thread and it ended up sounding like one of those 3 am infomercials. I decided instead to start a dedicated thread about this stuff inviting comments good or bad. As far as my own experience, the only "cons" I see so far with this product is it's a bit pricey and sometimes not available locally....what say ye all....?

Here's my original post:

Ok, I'm one of those "gotta see it myself to believe it" guys and so I bought myself a gallon of this Evaporust stuff....greatest stuff since canned beer !!

Sometimes you need to soak the stuff for a few days, you can't be in a hurry...it turns the rust into this gooey black substance which I then scrub off with soft brass brush..another quick dip... and the results are almost magical:

these fork tubes had identical rust/corrosion on them:

It almost appears to put chrome back where there was no chrome...now I know that's impossible, but what it does is take all the corrosion off the chrome that's left and then it somehow etches the bare metal parts shiney and clean so it kind of all blends in. It's not new chrome by any means, the surface still has a fuzzy or peppered feel.... but like Furyus said, it almost looks better this way on an unrestored bike or sympathetic restoration on a survivor. Another weird plus I noticed...there was some flimsy foil decals on the top of the forks and the Evaporust cleaned them but didn't hurt them one bit. I'm going to shoot clear over everything I clean because I'm sure the rust would come right back if left unprotected.

The other great thing about this stuff is it's remarkably safe and easy to use...the rep who sold it to me showed me the MSDS sheet and said you can practically drink this stuff .(I don't recommend trying this) It has no offensive odor and feels like nothing when you get it on your hands....feels/smells kinda like vinegar. This is especially great now that I have moved to the cozy comfort of my heated basement instead of my walk in freezer of a garage. Don't have to worry about releasing some kind of noxious gas and poisoning the family or waking up and your fingertips are gone.
Another tip...because I'm working with only a gallon of this stuff, I have been making up special "baths" to soak the parts in, trying to make them as close to the parts size as possible. I made this pvc tube for the fork tubes and was able to get by with only about a quart of Evaporust to cover them one at a time.

One more note...once you start soaking parts you are not supposed to pour it back into the container and cap it...something to do with the enzymes being activated ...it's recommended that you just leave it in an open container (I just cover mine with a towel so it can breathe). It reportedly will remain effective at least a year this way.

sorry to be so long-winded but I've been waiting for the opportunity to brag on this stuff.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I found that evaporust reacts with a number of other metals and may be good on a steel only project but strips zinc, chromate, eats brass, aluminum and if left on steel slowly converts to iron phosphate. The stuff is non-noxious. I also found degredation of substrate in triple plate chrome--test first.

Greatest rust dissolver ever invented. Been using it for more than a year now and will never go back to anything else. For heavy rust on steel I use a wire brush wheel and remove the majority of the rust first. Shortens the dipping time and prolongs the life of the Evaporust. Being a liquid it soaks into places where just plain wire brushing or sanding or even blasting can't penetrate. After the Evaporust treatment I blast the piece with #80 glass beads and you have piece that's TOTALLY free of rust. Prep and prime and you have a part that will last forever. Ogy

Joe48

I've been using it for about amonth, removing rust from the chrome pieces on my resto. Works great. All parts will be re-chromed, but it allows me to see the condition of the base metal before they go out.

I have a set of old kidney bean magnesium wheels that are pretty grungy with that white chalky junk on them...I've been very tempted to try Evaporust's magical qualities on them but I don't want to be the quinea pig:doah: ....anybody ever try it to clean them?

anybody else with before/after Evaporust pics please post em up here, interesting to see........:thumbsup:

No sweat.
just for kicks I made that exact blaster to see if it would work and was impressed with the results, and the simplicity. It works great on carbs too:thumbsup:

I tryed some of this stuff it was ok for light surface rust but thats all
Rocket, You and I must be using two different Evaporusts. Granted it won't do much on the hull of a battleship, but I have yet to see it fail to totally de-rust any parts on any of my minibikes. Are you letting it soak for 24 hrs or more on the heavier stuff. Try removing the heavier rust with a wire brush wheel prior to soaking. Ogy

Well I have used it on parts , and nuts and bolts, but where it really shined was in gas tanks :thumbsup: My Cheetah tank had all kinds of scale, but I let it soak for 4 days and its gone..

delray