gas tank build

delray

i thought i would try my skills at building a round gas tank with two oil filters and a old tank that the bottom rusted out for parts(filler neck). also with the help of some of the members advise on how to do it..........:thumbsup:
first thing i did was drill out a 1 1/2 hole for the filler neck and then a small hole for the pit/cock and then cut the two threaded ends off the oil filters and then the rusty tank filler neck. clean all the parts that where to be solder together real good and then soldered everthing up. after the tank cool down. i went ahead and use some gas to check for leaks. i just figure the gas would find the leaks qiucker then anything else and no leaks......:thumbsup: at this point i have not use any tank sealer and really don't have a clue on what works the best when it comes to sealing tank and looks nice inside the tank after it's sealed up....:shrug: i am more thinking of using it for sealing any bare metal spots so it never rust's and to make sure the tank never leaks. so any advise on that would great guys......

this one is for you yellowhand...........

Last edited:
Very nice fab skills , I am going to have to do something similar for my build off bike , but have been putting it off . I have no problem working with heavy tubing and plate , but the thin stuff scares me LOL.
Rob.

I did pick up some welding rods for stainless , and have some heavy gauge stainless sheet I may try making a funky box style tank.

delray

thanks guys.:thumbsup: if i can find more filler necks i may give it another try at it. i believe i have some new NOS twist style filler necks somewhere that i could use on my next one. also i would like to make the flange area little better. we will see how it go's:rolleyes:

caswell product, can i thin that stuff way down:shrug: i really only need it to seal any bare metal that could be inside the tank. the stuff looks like it works good,but also looks real thick and yellow.....:no: i don't think i need that much in my tank just to seal some bare metal spots....:shrug:

If it's soldered good and doesn't leak there is no need to seal it IMO, maybe oil it well and clean it out then run it. Many tanks are bare metal inside, I'd see how it stands up but that's my opinion only. I plan to get some 3" aluminum tubing I may have a good supply of and buy weld in bungs and vented caps then have the ends welded up with some flat stock or the ends of GM A/C driers. I know a welder so that's a done deal, just a matter of getting the 3" tubing when spring comes, that's when it's most available.

Your tank looks good and there is a demand for round tanks for sure, making your own is the way to go. Yellowhand would approve I'm sure.:thumbsup:

delray

metal man i just modified a exhaust pipe expander and it seam to do ok, i have couple other ideals on how to make the flange,but that will take some time to do. for now the expander tool works..........:rolleyes: my second one came out little better. made up a spacer ring to give it more of a define line all the way around the tank.