Getting my daughter started

My daughter turns ten in 2 weeks. She's has showed a "need for speed" as one person called it since she was about 3. First with me pulling her in a bike trailer behind my bicycle. She was constantly telling me to go faster. Then 2 weeks after removing her training wheels, she asked me to build a jump for her. Only to be told it wasn't high enough. She was finally tall enough to drive a go kart by herself this year. The place was dead, so the worker let us drive as many laps as we wanted. 50 laps later she was done. She was hooked. Well, I picked up a motovox mbx10 for her birthday. I've been checking craigslist for a few months, but the prices people what for their beat to death minis was crazy. I figure the MBX10 is a good platform to start with. I know the engine is weak, but I figured it would be a good start. Has anybody replaced their MBX engines? Any recommendations for motor swaps? How about the motors at Harbor Freight?
I am glad there's a forum like this.

The harbor freight preditor engine is pretty good and cheap. I'm not sure if it will fit in that mini bike:eek:ut::no: Somebody else needs to chime in:laugh:

Thanks for the replies. Looks likes once my daughter has some practice time in, I'll be doing a swap. How's the new motor doing? Thanks for the pics.

MikeBear

Ok, let me be the first to say this then:

1: Have her wear a Helmet, ALWAYS!
2: Long sleeve shirt, or jacket (NOT nylon, that could melt into your skin) ALWAYS! (I'm still dealing with road rash 9 months after NOT wearing long sleeves, and laying down on stonecrete... It happened so fast, I had no clue it was coming)
3: Long pants, or chaps ALWAYS!
4: Good riding boots (steel shank) ALWAYS! (The accident where I got the road rash? Yeah, I WAS wearing new riding boots, and they were ruined in it. Punctured through the sole, and crushed. Imagine what my foot would look like now if I had been wearing sandals, or tennis shoes! If they hadn't been steel shank, I'd have had a punctured foot.
5: Riding gloves to protect the hands.

Get this stuff for your daughter. Explain that she MUST wear them every time. NO excuses. Someday, you WILL thank me for pointing this out.

Ok, let me be the first to say this then:

1: Have her wear a Helmet, ALWAYS!
2: Long sleeve shirt, or jacket (NOT nylon, that could melt into your skin) ALWAYS! (I'm still dealing with road rash 9 months after NOT wearing long sleeves, and laying down on stonecrete... It happened so fast, I had no clue it was coming)
3: Long pants, or chaps ALWAYS!
4: Good riding boots (steel shank) ALWAYS! (The accident where I got the road rash? Yeah, I WAS wearing new riding boots, and they were ruined in it. Punctured through the sole, and crushed. Imagine what my foot would look like now if I had been wearing sandals, or tennis shoes! If they hadn't been steel shank, I'd have had a punctured foot.
5: Riding gloves to protect the hands.

Get this stuff for your daughter. Explain that she MUST wear them every time. NO excuses. Someday, you WILL thank me for pointing this out.
Thanks, she will be doing all of the above or no riding. Shes learning to jump horses now, and she knows that will end if we ever see her on a horse without a helmet. We've talked about Chris Reeves. I also explained about breaking my wrist as a kid riding my CT70.

While my daughter was away today, I tested the mini. Her birthday isn't until May 2nd, but I wanted to make sure there was no let down for her. Started third pull. I made it a short ride down the street and back. Everything worked well, brakes, etc. I was surprised it moved with me tipping the scale at 230 lbs.

The last thing you want to do is put a 10 year old on a bike with a big clone engine.

I started my neice out with a 2hp Briggs set up to only get partial throttle and it was still a lot for her. She's been riding for years mnow and is about 12. She rides faster stuff now, but still moves out pretty good with her weight on that same 2hp Cat.

I have a couple new take off 2.8 Lifans from the DB30s if interested.

The last thing you want to do is put a 10 year old on a bike with a big clone engine.

I started my neice out with a 2hp Briggs set up to only get partial throttle and it was still a lot for her. She's been riding for years mnow and is about 12. She rides faster stuff now, but still moves out pretty good with her weight on that same 2hp Cat.

I have a couple new take off 2.8 Lifans from the DB30s if interested.
Yeah, I plan on keeping the 2.5hp on it. That way she can concentrate on learning to ride. By the way, I like the link to your pics. I have a 66 Chevelle SS.

I cant agree more about the safety stuff and turning the throttle down!!!! My daughter had a wicked wipe out into a prickle bush and fence post. Thank god she was wearing the protective gear and the throttle was turned way down !!!. I race vintage motorcyles and have fallen off a few times luckly not getting hurt to bad because of the protective gear.... But I have never hurt myself so bad as when I slammed on the front brake with my stupid little pocket bike without the proper gear.... SH#t HAPPENS FAST !!!

We have a helmet, gloves, and boots ready to go on her Birthday. She knows she getting a "big" present, and has been trying trick me into telling her what it is. Thanks for the encouragement. On a side note I am checking garage sales, etc for a mini for me. I figure a family that rides together...

Well I couldn't wait until my daughters birthday, so we gave her the MBX early. The weather has been perfect, so why not. She seemed really surprised. She got the lecture on the helmet to the boots. For her first ride on a mini she did really well. The mini's speed is perfect for her. I still have the DB hidden at a neighbors house. So, come Wednesday she will still have a surprise and we can going riding together.

Thats awesome:thumbsup:

My buddy has ona those bikes for his boys. It fits a smaller kid perfect. DBs seem just a bit tall for smaller kids to start.

A motovox has plenty of room for a 6.5 but it's too much engine for a 10yo girl even turned down. You cannot turn the throttle down enough, even a little can be overpowering as it does not come on slowly. I have a DB with a 1977 briggs 3hp engine my 8yo rides all the time. An edger engine I paid little to nothing for. An adapter kit is best, I've seen some poorly executed swaps and them holes do not fill themselves. I fixed a bad one a while back. I do not recommend a 6.5 engine, HF sells a 3hp OHV I heard is a bolt in deal. I'd do that.

Last edited:
A motovox has plenty of room for a 6.5 but it's too much engine for a 10yo girl even turned down. You cannot turn the throttle down enough, even a little can be overpowering as it does not come on slowly. I have a DB with a 1977 briggs 3hp engine my 8yo rides all the time. An edger engine I paid little to nothing for. An adapter kit is best, I've seen some poorly executed swaps and them holes do not fill themselves. I fixed a bad one a while back. I do not recommend a 6.5 engine, HF sells a 3hp OHV I heard is a bolt in deal. I'd do that.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure that when the time comes, 3hp or so will do. I am going to continue to keep my eyes open for engines, tillers, etc.