getting paint off a plastic tank?

markus

If got a Tec tank I want to use, its got some spraypaint on it here and there any tips on what I can use to get it off with minimal to no scratching or damage to the plastic?

It has some fade on the other side of it so I plan to use "forever black" like I did on another tank I had which seemed to be holding up good (bike was sold off so I dunno what it looks like anymore) but I need a smooth clean surface as its more like a dye/stain for plastic:

bandit 40

Nice Markus :thumbsup: It would be interesting to see how well it holds up in direct sunlight for a bit. Just to see if it cracks or checks otherwise looks great.

Brake fluid is supposed to work well for removing paint from plastic without dissolving the plastic. It's supposed to be soaked for a while.

Or, you could hit it with a medium 3M scrubber dipped in acetone, since you have to scuff the plastic anyway for adhesion.

Forever black...does it hold up to fuel spillage? I could use something like that.

media blast it with a mild abrasive. I would probably put that in my semi aggressive cabinet for a quick strip, then I would send it through the sugar sand cabinet for a spiffy finish, maybe wipe it with 320 wet when done and final wipe with acetone to remove the finger oils and paint it up.

markus

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas....and fast too! I never even thought about runnig it through the cabinet:doah:

I did a few passes on the backside of it and what is left behind may actually make adhesion of the "forever black" even better! although might be able to almot polish the bare plastic as well, it looks like I may have taken some of that fade out. I'll work on it a little later on.

Nice Markus It would be interesting to see how well it holds up in direct sunlight for a bit. Just to see if it cracks or checks otherwise looks great.
Forever black...does it hold up to fuel spillage? I could use something like that.
This stuff like I said is more of a dye, Its made for black plastic bits on vehicles, I have used it for years, its not going to peel or crack it will fade over time though, and you just do it again. Far as fuel, I never had any problems at fuel fill necks on the vehicles I have had.
If the media blast comes out nice I think it would be perfect for it as it will sort of break the surface a bit and give it something better to suck into. that last tank was holding up well, but I know that stuff sucks in better on a rough or flat surface alot better than that smooth shiny like the tank usually are.

NAPA sells a spray on paint remover part number #7229 that works great taking paint off plastic tanks did no damage to several of my tanks :thumbsup:

markus

So heres the results using the forever black after media blasting the tank, It gives it a pretty good flat look:

it definitely soaks in better after the media as opposed to straight on the tank like the last one I did, forever black is applied like shoe polish so its kind of a bear on big areas to not get streaks, I kinda rushed through it. Maybe a couple of more applications later on.

I put it on the "raw deal" Manco Streaker I am building but If I keep the original plastic chainguard The original tank sheen matches it better, so It may get put on another motor: