Great MiniBiker Build-Off:DELRAY ENTRY

delray

my entry will be in stock/vintage class:
vintage minibike frame i will be using in my project is a manco frame. i will be modiflying and making some improvements to the stock frame. when finish the bike will have a stock/vintage look:thumbsup:
type of engine:vintage 3hp briggs(rear tank)
trans:clutch unit,new old stock(with jackshaft,gear reduction)
chain size: 40/41
rim size:6inch
tire size:13x5.00-6

delray

i can't wait too to see it done jimh. i have alot of little things i want to do to it,so it has that vintage look when done. i will try my best to finish it before the cut off(may):doah:
i am really starting to like the handle bar design on this bike. making it easy for adult or teenager ride and steer it. i was planing on building this bike for my nephew before the build-off started. as you can see in my first posting i aready started remove the motor mount and place it forward,so it could give me more room to mount a jackshaft and also clear room for a rear fender. i will need a jackshaft to regear the bike,so it can pull him around good and also not go to fast for him. this will be his first minibike to learn on:thumbsup:so i will keep it slow,15-20mph:scooter:

handle bar design

frame before removing the motor mount,also will be removing the rear plates and the foot pegs that someone added to it. i will be building my own type of floating foot pegs.

i am not really sure what kind of tire size could clear the factory jackshaft plates or how it was setup? it won't work with my tires.

delray

first thing i did is to remove the motor mount.

replace it couple inch's forward. spot weld a piece of angle iron to keep the frame from moving around:thumbsup:

giving me more room for a jackshaft and rear fender

remove the rear plates and went with a 5/8 tube for a axle mount. this also let me move the wheel base another inch or so back.

giving me more room for the jackshaft and rear fender and tire. with the original set up the gas tank was almost on top of the rear tire:doah:

delray

kbs8ball,tires are a turf tires i am using. i like the shape of the tire being flat across. this will help the bike handle little better for my nephew to ride on. he will be riding on black top,grass, and gravel. with also the engine set forward little more this will allow the bike to handle(steer) better when turn in wet grass and gravel. i have notes in the past with rounded(smooth)tires and engine mount back further, bike does not steer well.
yellowhand,what i mean by floating pegs is when the foot pegs hit some they will fold or pivot,something like my green bike has:thumbsup:

delray

one of the items i would like to install on the bike is some fenders. but no one makes a fender with the same curve as my tires. i will have reshape the fenders i have:thumbsup:first picture shows how bad they fit:doah:

i will have to measure out the spacing and mask off the fender where i want to cut them.

after cutting the fender i will start to reshape it the same as the tire

i use some 3/4 heater hose to get the right size gap i was looking for:thumbsup:

delray

next i place a strap around the fender and tire to hold everything in place and then spot welded all my gaps.

delray

after spot welding the fenders i dissemble the straps and welded the gaps up and then clean up the the welds to a finish rough look.

Last edited:

delray

thanks guys for your comments,one thing great about this build off is that we can all share ideals on how to make different things for are minibikes :thumbsup:
:scooter:......................

delray

going to have to spread apart the front forks so the 13x5.00-6 tire can fit

first thing i will have to do is weld a small peice of flat stock across the top handle bars. this keep the correct angles after i cut and reweld everthing together. also the original fender bracket will help too.

now i have the tire clearance i need:thumbsup:

delray

next thing i will have to do is make a new bracket for the front fender. bracket will be made out of a peice of flat 1inch wide x1/8thick steel. before welding it in place i will have to shorten the ends up and bend them out little.

i also predrilled the holes and bolted the fender up to the bracket. making sure that everthing look good:thumbsup:

with the bracket mount under the fender it gives the top fender a clean,smooth look:thumbsup:nephew wants some strips on his fenders,looks like he will get some 70's style strips.:thumbsup:
moch up picture before welding new fender brackets for the front and back.

:scooter:............................

delray

i have been working on a jackshaft set up so i can gear it down. i want the bike to pull him around good and not go to fast. also want the jackshaft on one side of the bike(chains) this way i can build a chain cover that can cover everthing and not worry about anything getting hung up in.:doah:
first i had to get my length for my shaft and also make it adjustable with shims(machine washers). i use a peice of 5/8 shaft and machine out a keyway for the sprockets. also cut out a peice of tubing and install two high speed bearings. drill a small hole for a grease insert,so the shaft it self wont burn on inside bearings.

i welded a peice of angle iron across the frame for the jackshaft to mount on. use a peice of 1/4 inch thick flat stock to weld to the tube and to the mount. i also will be mounting my generator next to it. this will also give the jackshaft more support,but i don't think it really needs it with 1/4inch steel support:doah:

NOW THE COVER WILL BE REAL FUN TO MAKE:doah:

delray

i desided to install a disc brake on my sprocket. I have not use this type of set up before,so i have no ideal how well this will work? but it has to work better then some of the drum setups i have use in the past:doah: i have no room on the other side for a disc brake set up and the only other thing that could work is a drum set up and i don't want that again:doah: