H35 won't start when hot.

I have a H35 (sears craftsman side popper) Tecumseh that won't start when its Hot. Whats up with that? When its cold, starts on first or second pull. Runs like a top. Pretty fast and pulls well. I guess its a snow blower engine. Not sure of the year but it looks like it has points. 143-614042 serial# 1166P. I don't see a choke.:eek:ut: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

chrisr

have you checked to see if its getting good spark when hot? How well does it run when cold, does it need the choke which sounds like you don't see one? If overly rich will cause hard starting when hot.

Karen, I had the same problem with one of my Predators, so I unhooked all the kill switch wires...that didn't fix it . Changed out the coil ...that didn't fix it...then I put a new spark plug in it...FIXED. I would try a new plug first.

chrisr

Have you looked at spark when hot? If hot, does using starting fluid help? Just trying to see if fuel or ignition related. If you look through the carb with the breather removed you should see the choke valve and if its partially on or not which if on partially will make it rich and hard to start when hot.

I'll check both those things tomorrow Chrisr.:thumbsup: This bike is such a POS but fun.:laugh: Reminds me of some of the junkers I had when I was a kid.:laugh:

capguncowboy

When they're being stubborn, I use my 18v Dewalt impact gun with a 3/4" socket on it. Have you tried that?

I think I read somewhere that you can snap a flywheel in half with one, but I figure if it's stuck that bad, it's not coming off anyway.

I would leave the engine on the bike so you can get more leverage with a pry bar behind the flywheel...loosen the nut out flush with the shaft and :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: It one or two good licks. It will pop right off !

buckeye

Learned a it the something about getting these off from Rick.

While he held and gradually turned the flywheel I very gently tap, tap, tapped the flywheel.
I'd tap, he'd turn.
By the time the flywheel made one full revolution, she popped right off.

I was tapping on the back of the flywheel. Engine side. Tap, tap...

Last edited: