Handling characteristics of different wheel/tire sizes

Have a azusa frame with 5 inch wheels and standard 350 tires that need to be replaced and just purchased TC so my old band brake setup needs to change to a rear brake setup which in turn going with a drum brake setup and will be needing to change out sprocket and such so im going to go with a complete wheel change from OldMiniBikes. Question is, what size would be good for neighborhood riding around with lots of turns and such. I know round profile tires help with cornering, cant stand the square profile tires as they get squirrely in turns. But what are the different ride characteristics of wheel size diameters for this type of riding? Which do you prefer? 5,6,or 8 inch?

If only i could get scooter type tires...

vwfan79

I like to put 10" wheels on my bikes but it's not always fesible. I did a 12" wheel Rupp roadster with racing scooter tires, haven't had a chance to ride it much yet but so far it handles like a dream. I also have a bonanza with 6" wheels I was running studded Carlisle snow hogs on for dirt racing but just put a set of Kenda super turf 15/6-6 on they are great. We rode yesterday with a great mix of conditions, pavement, snow and dirt and they did great. They have a nice crown which make then take corners like a dream. I'm putting together a Rupp continental and using 10" asuza rims I found on ebay for $18 a piece with free shipping with a mild knobby type tire.

I like to put 10" wheels on my bikes but it's not always fesible. I did a 12" wheel Rupp roadster with racing scooter tires, haven't had a chance to ride it much yet but so far it handles like a dream. I also have a bonanza with 6" wheels I was running studded Carlisle snow hogs on for dirt racing but just put a set of Kenda super turf 15/6-6 on they are great. We rode yesterday with a great mix of conditions, pavement, snow and dirt and they did great. They have a nice crown which make then take corners like a dream. I'm putting together a Rupp continental and using 10" asuza rims I found on ebay for $18 a piece with free shipping with a mild knobby type tire.
I like the 12" Rupp...those Kenda tires look like they have to be mounted on a 4" width wheel, so im wondering now if they will fit in the azusa frame with a drum sprocket with brake....

vwfan79

The Kenda are a tight fit in my bonanza and I'm using a clutch brake, I have a tav I want to put on there and I'm gonna run a jackshaft brake. The Kenda tires do come in other sizes too.

The bigger the tire the better ride for sure , too big though and it might look goofy on that frame , they do sell the Azusa kits with the 8" tri-stars and it still looks pretty good ! Beware of the rear drum brake , minimal stopping power at best !

The bigger the tire the better ride for sure , too big though and it might look goofy on that frame , they do sell the Azusa kits with the 8" tri-stars and it still looks pretty good ! Beware of the rear drum brake , minimal stopping power at best !
And 8" DOT-rated tires are readily available. (up to 65 MPH)

OldMiniBikes warehouse sells 8" and 10" Azusa wheels that your current brake and sprocket would bolt onto if you already have Azusa wheels. You will need a lower gear to turn that big wheel but they sell sprockets too so you just need to decide what size is right for you. I have ridden an Azusa with 8" tri-stars and it steered very well compared to a 5 or 6" wheel minibike, I know the 8" will fit but the 10" could very well fit an Azusa frame. Bigger wheels steer better and are better for rougher terrain, you have a better chance of clearing a rut with larger wheels. I loved the way my Murray track2 minibike steered with 8" wheels, it was the only thing I did like about it though.