Has this site ever done a winter minibike build off?

I will play you people make up the rules and tell me what they are.I will build what works for me. If it falls under the rules ok, If not thats ok also.

I think we should just have the classic class and the open class and lets build some bikes
I agree the simpler the better, I hope the open class will allow my Predator powered Trailhorse, it will look like Edwin or one of those California guys built it when I'm done. I can always go to the Northern Tool they built here and get an Azusa since I have so many wheels and tires already, no shipping now that they have one near me so that's a possibility.

If this were to happen, classes would be too hard to manage, I think just a financial build would be best. Meaningtotal investment of like 500 to 1000 for the build that amount would have to be set, say start with a frame and you have 500 or 1000 to spend on that frame and the best team wins, all parts have to be accounted for and what was spent on them a actual build sheet.

You cant say my uncle bob gave me this engine or tires or cables etc... We all share a special fab skill here so fabbing is A-OK but material cost has to be accounted for.
i see where i would not be able to play in this one . i run scrap metal clean up as a few bucks fun money . in doing so i get piles of crap given to me for the cost of get it out of my yard . from bikes to lawn mowers , steel tube and parts from old machines . hell i even get stuff from the local junk yard for free well $$ wise at least . i have been helping the old boys fix up a few of there projects , and they have just let me have piles of parts i dug out of the scrap pile . like the bush mower they gave me , all i did was help hook up some chains to pull some junk out of there old building . and that was before i had much of the use back in my hand so i really didnt do that much .
not trying to be a whine tit but it does happen that people can get piles of parts and spent no money to get them so how do you account for them ???:shrug:

I agree with you Metal Man ,I too scrounge a lot of parts for little or no money as well as having old parts and such laying around , some stuff I have had for 30+ years (does junk become vintage) LOL
But how do you compete when others sends stuff out for paint/powder coat,or have an engine built for them.
To me a true build is done all in house

Ok this is sounding more doable for the masses and we should see a good variety of minibikes.

The classic class for the good old cool bikes and then the open class for the wild rides people can put together from whatever parts they can scrounge up which is in the true spirit of minibkes (IMO).

Simple and more to the point of FUN for everyone.I love it.

i see where i would not be able to play in this one . i run scrap metal clean up as a few bucks fun money . in doing so i get piles of crap given to me for the cost of get it out of my yard . from bikes to lawn mowers , steel tube and parts from old machines . hell i even get stuff from the local junk yard for free well $$ wise at least . i have been helping the old boys fix up a few of there projects , and they have just let me have piles of parts i dug out of the scrap pile . like the bush mower they gave me , all i did was help hook up some chains to pull some junk out of there old building . and that was before i had much of the use back in my hand so i really didnt do that much .
not trying to be a whine tit but it does happen that people can get piles of parts and spent no money to get them so how do you account for them ???:shrug:
Yeah, today in math class while the teacher was talking I figured out what I need for this build and what it will cost. From my calculations I should only spend $40 on it, that can change quickly as you get into the project. Also, I live on a farm and in our pasture we have a old '54 international grain truck heaped full of scrap as well as numerous other piles of stuff around it.

I have on more question though. Since my starting frame pieces is a '72 moto skeeter would that fall under the vintage category? but I am planning on customizing it so then would it belong under the custom/homemade category? :shrug:

I was going to enter but I hope to finish my resto project this weekend and then collecting parts for a custom built frame and fork combo once I find a local metal shop

george3

There is so many different threads on this, I really dont know where to ask if my bike is eligible. 1971 Yamaha JT1 Mini Enduro. Its a complete bike but it will have to be tore down and somewhat gone through. I am not sure exactly how I will attempt this one yet. build off or not it has to be done.