Heald Company....history lesson.

I had a very interesting conversation with Ron Kimball today.

As I have learned, Ron Kimball who owns Power Tec company, that supplies parts for Heald power equipment, was employed by the Heald Company. Makers of our vt-5,7,8 and 10's.

Ron was the executive who ended up tasked with 'locking the door and turning off the lights' in 1988, when Heald's new owner finished ruining the companies finances.

Ron knew, and had relationships with all of the suppliers to the Heald company. Being the forward thinker he seems to be, Ron made the best of a bad situation, and opened a new company to support the needs of all the Heald Kit power equipment owners out there....that was 1989, and Power Tec is still here. And so is Ron, now 80 years young !

Ron shared some stories and history about Heald that I was not aware of, and would like to share with you all.

First off, Carl Heald, the original owner of Heald company (who is still alive also), had a designing / engineering type background, and at some point was employed by the 'Heath' company.

Heath's specialty was electronics. You folks my age or older will remember the 'Heath Kit Radios' you could buy, and put together your own radio. I think mine was called a 'crystal radio' or something like that, and was in 'kit' form.

Anyway, at the time, Heath company wanted to diversify their product line, and asked Carl Heald to design a trail type motor bike. Heald's design answer to them was the "Heath Kit Hilltopper", and then later the "Heath Kit Boonie Bike".

As many companies do, Heath company decided at some point they did not want to be diversified outside of electronics, and a deal was struck to sell Carl Heald the rights to the Heath motor bike product line for one dollar !

Then was born the Heald Company. Carl Heald started Heald company, and directed it through it's successful years, manufacturing a variety of power equipment from Heald motor bikes, to 3 and 4 wheeled haulers, and a variety of other vehicles....all sold only in kit form !

That's right, the purchaser got their vehicle in a box, and got a schematic detailing the assembly and parts of each piece of equipment....every single vehicle they sold....kit form.

Ron said they had one guy that was the customer 'support' help line guy, and if someone was building a kit, and had a question or problem, they called the 'help' line, and the one guy would talk them through it. Ron said the one guy supported all of the products, and the documentation and design
was so good, that the 'help' phone guy did not even stay that busy !

And it's not as if there were only a few items out there....Ron said one project he had was to design a 3 wheeled hauler. He did, and Heald sold 158,000 units of that model alone ! I said dang Ron, there must still be a lot of them out there...to which he replied, yes there are, and that he hears stories daily of folks finding and rescuing one of their Heald vehicles
that has been sitting in the barn for years.

Ron said the team at Heald was the best group of folks he'd ever worked with, citing the fact that they really were a team, and the whole place was a great environment to work in.

Ron said the demise of the Heald company came when Carl Heald was advised by his doctors that his health was being affected by his demands at work, so he sold the company. The person that bought the company did not respect the established Heald company ethics and philosophies. Ron said
the new owner ordered up and sold a bunch of parts inventory and did not pay for the orders, thus ruining Heald's credit rating, and disabling them from carrying on business. Ron said the factory was full of lots of different parts when closed but none of them were enough to make any one complete vehicle kit product. Said the new owner disappeared with the funds, and ordered the facility closed.

Seems the time frame Ron cited was Heald closed in November of 1988, and Power Tec Replacement Parts company was started in February of 1989. And been there ever since.

I asked Ron if he'd ever been to Windber, and he said no, so i told him about it, and said we'd be honored to have you come down for the event...Ron said he'd like too, but that June is one of their busiest times of the year, and hard to get away. I told Ron that I'm glad to hear he is that busy, and to keep up the good work.

Heald sounded like a real family type business, and so does Power Tec, as Ron's son works with him there as well.

Well, that's about all the history lesson I can recall...oh yeah, one more thing...Ron said if you ever want to repaint your Heald motor bike frame, they were all painted 'International Harvester red' !

I'm sure I'll remember more, but wanted to share this. From my two conversations with Ron, I've found him to be a great person, and realized he is a big part of mini bike history. I felt blessed he shared his stories with me :thumbsup: .

Motra

Great story! I've had a few conversations with Ron too and he really is the nicest guy you can imagine. Thanks for taking the time to post this bit of history.

Rob,

Great information. :thumbsup:

Right up to the end, but I have a slight disagreement with the "They were all painted ...". I don't doubt you, but I think Ron's memory may be mistaken. My SB VT-10 is painted black and I highly suspect that it is factory since the switch plate looks to have the original lettering (albeit some of it rusted). I could be wrong, but the switch plate appears to me to have the lettering painted on and is not a decal, I can't see another PO of my VT-10 (very likely the original purchaser) taking the time to have a custom lettering job done on the switch plate because they wanted a black VT-10. Based on other SB's that I have seen pics of, black is not an uncommon color for VT-10's, although I completely agree that the red is the predomiant color for all SB's. Perhaps black was a later ('80's) option that was not available long and that is why Ron forgot about them? :shrug: I have not spoken to Ron myself, I am still stripping down my SB for restoration, figuring I'd get to know him when I go to re-build it and order the missing parts I need to complete the project.

I'll find out more when I strip off the paint from the frame. I am sure I will see if there is red paint under the black or if it was likely black from the factory.

Paul

the black bikes were built in the 80's yes,there are afew members on here with original black VT-5's AND 10's,Ron is one of the nicest guys you will find along with Scott his son.

I too have had a few lengthy conversations with Ron. He is as you said a great and helpful guy. I also got most of my Heathkit lesson from him as well as the Heald story. I always suspected that because of the similarity between the Boonie and the VT1 but when I spoke with Ron a few years ago he confirmed it for me :thumbsup: I always hear people talking about the Ray from lil Indian and the Ruttman guys and I always thought Ron got overlooked. Even though he may have not been originally behind the Heald bikes he has definately helped keep them going and proves to be an honest and overly helpful person. I imagine that he doesnt have to work at this stage in his life which just goes to show how much he does love it :thumbsup: I for one would really like to meet him someday.

P.s VT7's were blue lol

MNGB

Hi thanks for posting that bit of history, I too have had great conversions with Ron he's the nicest guy to vist with and do business with. He'll do anything to help you out, I'm thinking the Red ones were IH red as the VT7 were originally blue and I think Ron told me that in the 80's some time you could order different colors as an option.
Ron also produced the Kimball Haulers the 4 wheel version like like a mini WWII jeep and man would I like to get my hands on one.
GB in MN :scooter:

Rob,

Great information. :thumbsup:

Right up to the end, but I have a slight disagreement with the "They were all painted ...". I don't doubt you, but I think Ron's memory may be mistaken. My SB VT-10 is painted black and I highly suspect that it is factory since the switch plate looks to have the original lettering (albeit some of it rusted). ....
Paul
Hello Paul, yes speaking with Ron is great.

I bet it was my misunderstanding...here's some context...I told Ron mine was red, and did not think it had been repainted except for the tav cover and engine shroud....to which Ron replied...if you ever want to repaint yours, we painted them all IH red...

Based on the feedback I'm getting from folks now, I'm thinking when Ron said 'all' of them, he must have been referring to painting 'all' of the 'red' one's International Harvester red :thumbsup: .

the black bikes were built in the 80's yes,there are afew members on here with original black VT-5's AND 10's,Ron is one of the nicest guys you will find along with Scott his son.
Hey Chatten,

Thanks for the comments. (see my post above to Paul) I think we've come to the conclusion that when Ron said all of them, he meant all of the 'red' ones were IH red :laugh: .

I look forward to my next Heald parts order, just to get to talk to him :thumbsup: !

I too have had a few lengthy conversations with Ron. He is as you said a great and helpful guy......... and I always thought Ron got overlooked. Even though he may have not been originally behind the Heald bikes he has definately helped keep them going and proves to be an honest and overly helpful person. I imagine that he doesnt have to work at this stage in his life which just goes to show how much he does love it :thumbsup: I for one would really like to meet him someday.

P.s VT7's were blue lol
Hey LeatherNun,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it would be cool to meet him.

I was hopeful he'd take me up on my invite to Windber...so next time anyone gets to speak with him let's mention it again, how much he'd be welcome, and how folks would love to attend a 'seminar' or Q & A session, or campfire BS session, with someone who knows so much about the industry.

Ron sounds like a go getter, and said he'd actually cut down the amount he works now to only 10 hours a day :laugh: !

buckeye

Unless you want it to have a new home in the South.:laugh:

Most importantly, thanks for sharing Robert. This was a good read. We need more Ron's in every aspect of our lives.

Great story:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. Would be great if he had some old photos from back in the day:laugh::laugh: I thought I was reading a KKK story. excellent job:thumbsup::thumbsup: