Mini bike oil catch can breather

So i really like to reuse things. I like to take things and use them for a different purpose... ive saved all kinds of crap to use for something else, and many times has come out better than anything i could have bought from the store.

so I have some stainless steel water bottles ive been collecting from goodwill as well as some other parts/pieces to hopefully make some lightweight minibike and moped mufflers.

I dont have access to a TIG welder so i messaged a friend that does that said he would help me. I also came up with an idea you guys might like.

I have a couple alcohol flasks, also stainless, that i wanted to repurpose. too small for gas tanks, i then thought... oil catch can breathers!

turn it upside down, and you already have a drain plug. 3 hose barbs welded on, one for a clamp on filter, one for oil one for intake and you've got a mini bike appropriate sized oil catch can! I have 2 for my buddy to weld up, will be on the lookout for more for him to do and I will probably post them online for sale.

of course if you have access to a tig you can make your own but my buddy does some amazing tig work so I will let him handle mine!

opinions and comments welcome

So i really like to reuse things. I like to take things and use them for a different purpose... ive saved all kinds of crap to use for something else, and many times has come out better than anything i could have bought from the store.

so I have some stainless steel water bottles ive been collecting from goodwill as well as some other parts/pieces to hopefully make some lightweight minibike and moped mufflers.

I dont have access to a TIG welder so i messaged a friend that does that said he would help me. I also came up with an idea you guys might like.

I have a couple alcohol flasks, also stainless, that i wanted to repurpose. too small for gas tanks, i then thought... oil catch can breathers!

turn it upside down, and you already have a drain plug. 3 hose barbs welded on, one for a clamp on filter, one for oil one for intake and you've got a mini bike appropriate sized oil catch can! I have 2 for my buddy to weld up, will be on the lookout for more for him to do and I will probably post them online for sale.

of course if you have access to a tig you can make your own but my buddy does some amazing tig work so I will let him handle mine!

opinions and comments welcome
Anxious to see the finished product !!

i dont want to mess with changing my wire out, its a huge spool and i dont wanna buy more wire. I also want it to look awesome so i figured TIG was the way to go.

I have to wait for my buddy to come back to NC to help me out with this. He is into some extreme kart racing so its up his alley.

I only have two flasks to start with. hopefully i can find some more to convert. anyone else got any?

Can someone explain the entire oil breather catch can thing?
I put a cool little filter on my Predator hemi breather tube, but not any type of "catch can"
Do I need one?

Gadget Man

buckeye

I'll try.
From what I understand, when you build these engines with high compression the crank case needs to breath.
Since most have removed the stock plastic junk the breather from the valve cover just goes out in the air.
If you do that with a high compression engine, oil goes all over.

I think?

I understand the need for the crankcase to breath, thus the tube and the filter. but if I have not really changed anything as far as the compression goes, I should not experience a lot of excessive oil going everywhere. ?
My little filter should hold most of it...?

its more than to just look cool

the crankcase vapors would normally be sprayed at the air filter (good way for them to sell you new air filters)

its unburnt fuel, (blowby gasses) and some oil. the catch can gives a safe place for that crap to collect, to where you can drain it later. it also has a spot to connect the air pipe that would have been spraying crap at your air filter, but since its made to pull vapor off the top of the can, it doesnt get the amount of crap straight out of the crankcase (the oil and stuff has time to re-liquify)

some catch cans, esp factory ones, are designed to drain directly back into the oil pan. since singles can build up a good bit of crankcase pressure, its good to have a proper vent. the filter, on the end of the tube or on the catch can, is to keep from sucking in trash when the piston is moving up causing crankcase vacuum.

CarPlayLB

I think you are fine.
I have ran one with nothing but the tube hanging out of the breather hole on a stock one.
No problem.
Like JKauto just stated, that tube creates vacuum (sucking) too! When the piston is on the up stroke there is negative pressure in the crankcase. A filter will keep ya from pulling dirt into your motor. Don't just leave it open farm boy!

buckeye

I left that part out.:laugh:

I really did just read that, however my reading retention is lacking.:crying:
Yeah, put some type of filter on it. Sand does bad thing to cylinder walls I bet..