My New Baby

I been definitely hanging around you guys too long. I did the craziest thing and bought Havasu Dave's restored 1968 Taco 99 Trail Bike. I drove down from Reno to Lake Havasu, AZ over the weekend to pick it up and just got back late last night.

A beautiful drive to an even more beautiful place, Lake Havasu City is like another planet, the only place to be if you're a long retired marine ex-pat who has lived everywhere in the world BUT the USA for longer than most of us been around. Here's a fun fact for you: when Havasu Dave left the country to work overseas most 'vintage' minibike brands were still being produced. If you have a little kid, five or six years old, they got more time in the country longer than Dave has in the last forty five years. Kinda mind blowing.

To say that Havasu Dave has a knack for restoring minibikes would be an understatement. He restores classic cars, and his 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T is baddass hot rod calendar quality. This 'auto restoration' quality workmanship is what's evident in my new Taco 99, from the seat upholstery, to the engine mods, the paint, the Carlisle tires. This a show quality minibike that if I could have swung it, I woulda been proud to show it off at Joe's Minibike Reunion in LA but I couldn't do it all.

Last year when I first really got active on OldMiniBikes, I devoured dozens and dozens of project logs, including this one http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/p...trail-bike.html?highlight=Taco+99+restoration so to not only come to possess this masterpiece, but to actually meet one of the Master Builders off OldMiniBikes is a total honor. I pull in his drive, he comes out of his garage and he looks like a movie star - no shit - a big hunking six foot four, I thought he was Gerard Depardieu for a minute, he's a ringer! I'm blown away, where's Putin? but it's him, Havasu Dave, in person.

Very personable, we visited for a couple hours, shared stories about who we ever met off OldMiniBikes, we laughed, we cried (okay that's bullshit:laugh:) but he told me where the bodies were buried from the years of blood feuds on the forum, the dark years. So that means you all have to be nice to me from now on and read all my posts, listen to my tunes, watch my videos, look at my entire photo album and comment.

Don't make me have to rattle a few skeletons around here......:devil2:

Last edited:

buckeye

Great, now I am sure, any respect you may have had for me, is gone.:laugh:

That is one outstanding purchase. Should last another 40 years.:bowdown:

A Fabulous looking bike--a real treasure and Dave does outstanding work--oh ya and wait there's more--he is a great guy. Congrats on your purchase.:thumbsup:

I cant believe Dave sold this!! If I recall correctly he said this was the best handling/riding mini he has ever rebuilt!! (dont quote me verbatim) Very nice camera work John!!

Nice Butts

I am happy to report that I am rich in minibikes. I rode each one of these today and they all run awesome! Each one has it's own feel, it's own nuances (I got the tire pressure on the Bad Dog so low now it feels like shocks!) and are a blast to ride! Now I have this art piece, like eye candy to me when I look at it, which rides silky smooth by comparison to my other bikes, a combination of the suspension and the Carlisle tires. Wow!

Jdogg, no cold ones this trip due to driving...and I'll tell you what, with like fourteen fires raging up and down California, every other vehicle on the road was an emergency vehicle goin somewhere fast. And the pics don't do the bike justice, you should really see it in person.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the embarrassing comments, and lies. LOL!

Randi (125ccCrazy) built that motor.
Evil Ed gave me some solid advice on the brake assembly.
Neck sold me the frame, and Houndog sold me the front end.
I got the paint code from an obscure, old post here.

Jdogg, it was my favorite bike, and I rode it a lot. But I want to build some more bikes, so need to sell stuff for mini-bucks. :scooter:

What a nice mini. I have never picked up one ready to ride, I think that is the way to go. :thumbsup:
Yea, Matt2 it's my first one I didn't build, but when you get lucky and find one that's already there why not? I watched Mac's videos from Joe's Minibike Reunion and there were a lot of Taco's, but none this nice. This one's a bad mofo:pimp:

Thanks Iron Honky! Coming from a member of the Ghettoneck Society that's huuuge!

Matt2, I was thinking the problem for you guys (builders:hammer:) buying other people's custom bikes is you can do all the work, it'd be hard to let that go. Probably make your brain explode! I CAN'T do what you guys do, so when I get the chance to buy a sweet piece like Havasu Dave's Taco 99, with all that heart and soul in it (not to mention decades worth of high end auto restoration experience:bowdown:) I can just dive in and enjoy every purple speckle on that bike in pure ignorant bliss.:scooter: