New Murray mini bikes?

Been seeing these Murray bikes on GL and Ebay. They have a bowed center support frame and appear to be new production. I am trying to find a couple twin bikes for some 9 year olds to reek havoc on so vintage bikes aren't preferred. Does anyone know these bikes as to quality, price, where to get, etc.
Would appreciate any input or other avenues. I have been looking for used DBs as well.

Fred

They do not make Murray's minibikes any more ,They were made in 2002, and Murray was bought out by Briggs Is what I heard, Murray got into some financial problems. They are neat looking bikes, I would like to get one someday, They do come up on ebay and CL a lot and there are well built bikes.

My cousin just picked one up for his daughter. I rode it on Sunday. It is a very neat looking bike, very unique. It seemed pretty squirrely to me but I'm a full grown guy (and then some :D ). I think for a kid, it will ride good with the large tires they have. His had a 3.5 Tecumseh on it that moved me around decently. He bought his for $225 off of CL.

There was a seller on ebay not long ago with two murray minis for sale ,if I remember it was 700.00 for both. Looked like new.Search ebay and go with the highest price first.That will help weed out all the small stuff.

MiniBike Paul

I just started another thread, "My Pallet is here, From Indy!!" It has my 2 Murrays! They were never sold west of the mid west - i might have the only ones in So Cal!! I'm going to hot rod 1 of them, per Jim Fallon!

I got one last weekend...

I wanted a no fuss mini for my GF to be able to ride around with me and found this Murray Track 2 for 175.00 last weekend. Bike had less than an hour run time cause the PO's kid fell on second ride and wouldnt get back on it. Was stored since 2002. Tires still have the injection nubs on them.

Course the carb was nailed and all o-rings had to be replaced. PO also thought it was frozen up, a little twisting on the flywheel bolts freed it up.

Runs pretty good except for the lean settings on main jet...have to leave choke on a bit. I'll replace the carb with a pre-emissions carb...or drill out the plugs :)
I'll prolly leave the governor on till the chickie has some ride time on it.
It seems pretty well built,,,,welds are MUCH better than the 70's Columbia Trail Flite I have. I also took the tacky "motocross" bits off of it.

The clutch cover has a zirc (sp?) fitting on it. Sticker states it is to lube the clutch and chain. I pumped grease in but not noticing the chain getting lubed. Anyone know how that works?

Bill....Fort Wurf TX

Murray Track 2

I just come on a Murray Track 2 am trying to find parts like brake band and brake cable just no luck on parts numbers have the manual but like I say numbers are no good. Anyone else having better luck?:scooter:

buckeye

Where you located in L.A.? Me too.
The band brake should be a standard diameter band brake. And same with the cable.

OldMiniBikes warehouse should be able to hook ya up. Measure them and order them up.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes!

Falcon 65, the brake Drum for the trac2 is like 6" so a brake liner might be hard to find.On my trac 2 I just put on a clutch brake.If your 6" band brake is still there but just worn out you could just reline it with new brake lineing?Or maybe just try adding some length to a stock 4" band brake.

CarPlayLB

I was able to find a new drum and band for my Track2...I will have to look tonight and see if I can find where I got it. If I recall, it was made for a Carters Brothers? go kart. It is something like 5 3/4 inches in diameter. The standard 4" drum does not match up! I know that by spending money! I may still have the old parts, drum and band, but you will need that little bracket...do you have that?
The cable is easy enough to make, and the through bolt can be found too. What parts do you have?

here is a link Mini Bike & Go-Kart Band Brakes | Clutch Brakes

I think the 4 3/4 band is what you need SKU R10312

Get yourself a universal cable and some ends and you will "git'er done"!

I have a Murray Trac2 also. I was able to fit the standard 4" drum to the rear. Parts are very hard to find, the brake cable has a special cast metal eyelet on it but you can use a standard brake cable with the brake band. Murray on all their minibikes used standard bicycle neck bearings for your info. Good Luck with your bike. Forgot to mention my Murray uses a Manco Thunderbird front end and rear wheel assy. Check out my thread Murray Mock-up.

Last edited: