Painted a plastic gas tank, Help

I have a 9 HP Tecumseh with the plastic gas tank mounted on the front. It is all black right now, but I want to paint it white because it is going on a Super Bronc. Do I need to get a special paint so it will stick to the plastic gas tank with out chipping off?:confused: Thanks.

delray

scottneidert,yes the only thing that will work real good would be automotive paint. they make some good epoxy primers that stick good to plastic. i dont think you need to use a flex primer because the plastic is a hard plastic and not a soft flexable material. your local paint shops can help you more on this problem:thumbsup:
minibike of the month,SUPERBRONC.......:clap:.....:scooter:

just pick up some plastic primer and regular spray paint from the hardware store. that should work fine for your application and won't cost much.

they also make spray paint that is designed for use on plastics.

No matter what paint you use, the biggest problem will be the residual gas that has soaked into the plastic. If you thin some fibeglass resin with acetone and give it a light coat, kind of like clearcoat, it should seal it well. Gas can seep out of the pores in the plastic later and ruin a good paint job. sometimes it takes months, sometimes only days. Even with the best paint, the residue seeping out will cause it to peel or bubble.

125ccCrazy

With the type of plastic it is nothing will hold up very well especially with gasoline... I've been painting for 30 years and have not yet found any paint that will hold up long term on that type of plasticb being subject to gas spills ,fumes and the flexing from expanding and contracting from weather and tempature changes .... The only thing I can suggest is look for a new white tank and try dyeing it with clothes dye.... yes you can dye plastic by boiling a pot of water with the dye mixed in and then submerg the part in the dye periodically pulling it out until it reaches the desired shade..

No matter what paint you use, the biggest problem will be the residual gas that has soaked into the plastic. If you thin some fibeglass resin with acetone and give it a light coat, kind of like clearcoat, it should seal it well. Gas can seep out of the pores in the plastic later and ruin a good paint job. sometimes it takes months, sometimes only days. Even with the best paint, the residue seeping out will cause it to peel or bubble.
Just like trying to put new decals on a dirt bike tank. They never stick for very long. Dunno how they get the OEM stickers to stay put...

delray

scott, you will have to let me know if he has more then one tank left? if only one left, you get first bids ok:thumbsup: but i could use one on my vt-8. my is little yellow(old).......:scooter:

Just wanted to say thanks to all for info / feedback. I think I will try to buy a new one that is already white. If that falls through then who knows, I try somthing. Thanks again guys!
delray - I will let you know, I just emailed him.