picked up a rupp black widow, questions

toomanytoys

Yesterday I picked up a 1971 Black Widow with a powersports 4hp on it.

Set up street legal with lights, horn, brake lights, speedometer and I even got a state of ohio motorcycle title for it! Can you say fun time town cruiser? Oh yeah.

I picked it up for 800 dollars, bike is really nice, rims are in great shape but unchromed, tank is perfect, frame perfect, fenders, ect ect. Only flaw are the wheels. Front tire needs replaced, its really cracked from age. New Torque, jackshaft, sprockets, bearings, belt, covers.

Now some questions.

The carb has a few issues, first being that it was flooding out, I took it apart, the needle seat was completely gone! Nothing in there, I didn't have a rebuild kit for it, so I stuck on an old primer bulb carb I had, and got it running half way decent just to try it out. My question here is the carb sits at an angle, it doesn't have the angled intake tube, should I buy one or just rebuild the carb as is and leave it unlevel. I already ordered a rebuild kit for the carb should have it tomorrow. But I've been reading and see mixed opinions about carb angle.

Second, the back shocks are so freaking worn out and soft that when I hit a bump it slams the tire into the fender, would it hurt anything if i bought a set of stiff shocks to throw on the back? I threw a set of cheapo 450lb compression rate shocks on the back and its stiff as crap but I can ride it without slamming it around.

Also is there a way to beef up the front springs in the forks, pretty soft up there as well.

I don't plan on beating this bike off road, but cruising around town and just having fun on it. Its too nice to actually take off road and beat on.

I'll have some pictures after I get it back together, I already took the motor off of it, opened it up checked everything out and resealed, tonight I am going to power wash the frame and touch up the paint and clean and check all the bolts and mounting stuff.

Last edited:
The rears shocks Brandt ( Rupp parts ) sells on ebay are much stiffer and there are 3 settings to adjust them, and there the correct length 13 inches eye to eye.
I have a couple of sets of them and there 10 times better than the stock ones, I,m 250LBS and they work good for me. I have never found them anywhere else.
Front forks all you can do is get a new set of springs,It may help if yours are worn out, I never found any stiffer springs in that size that will fit.

Last edited:
The black widow came with a hs40 but it was NOT a power sport motor. Also they had Dellorto carbs on them. Post some pic so we can see whats what!

toomanytoys

The black widow came with a hs40 but it was NOT a power sport motor. Also they had Dellorto carbs on them. Post some pic so we can see whats what!
Its a 4hp tec, thats about the only thing correct about the motor. :hammer:

I'll get some pictures when I get it back together tomorrow night.

It also never had lights...ever. Wasn't even an option. It should also have 28 spoke instead of 24 spoke 12'' rims. Sounds like it was a Roadster 2 at some point in life. Nice cruisers either way.

richs

sounds like it was a roadster at some point if you dont have the slant intake you can use a diaphram carb that will work ok same setup as on the 70 roadsters:thumbsup:

The 28 spoke rim is a myth somebody started about the Blackwidows, I know of a couple of BW that came from the factory with 24 spoke wheels, that have been in the original owners hands since they were new. I have a sales add with a BW with 24 spoke wheels.
With out a serial number tag and picture its hard to tell what you have.

The 28 spoke rim is a myth somebody started about the Blackwidows, I know of a couple of BW that came from the factory with 24 spoke wheels, that have been in the original owners hands since they were new. I have a sales add with a BW with 24 spoke wheels.
With out a serial number tag and picture its hard to tell what you have.
Mine has 28 spokes and the Motorcross tires. :001_tt2:lol

furyus

Mine had 24, and I've seen well-documented Black Widows from reputable sources with 24 spokes. In fact, the 28-spoke rim seems a little more rare. Without some pics I'm guessing the OP has a Roadster, not that there is anything wrong with that.

furyus

toomanytoys

The previous owner added the lights and brake light, doing a very nice job so he could title it.

Also 12" 28 Spoke rims.

He said "The blackwidow was never street legal, but I didn't want a roadster 2 I wanted a black widow" I guess he had one when he was a kid, traded it for a go-kart and never seen it again.

He had Joe Valentis verify the frame as a black widow. And he helped him with every part for his restoration.

I'll get some pictures hopefully tonight, my carb parts will be in so I am going to put it back together and snap some pictures.

I don't really care what it is really, I am in love! :scooter: For only 800 dollars, I couldn't pass it up, I've seen worse on ebay go for more.

I might sell one of my super broncs to pick up another

Last edited:

toomanytoys

That's about all that matters.

furyus
I love these old mini bikes and I am buy no means a purist and have to have every detail perfect.

I won't hack up a vintage bike, but I will enjoy a bike for what it is, and try to keep it at least partially correct. But this weekend, there will most likely be a clone on it, just for fun. With the 4hp tec sitting on the shelf til I grow bored of playing with the clone.