Predator 212cc Engine Help??

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, so hello all.

But I just got a Baja doodlebug with a brand new Predator 212cc. Well during the day it runs great, no problems at all, but my favorite time to ride is at night but that is when I have problems. It will run for a few minutes, then bog out and die. So what I do to fix it is unscrewing the gas cap and I will have to do it every few minutes to keep it running. This is only at night which is weird. I don't know what to do, tried looking for answers but nothing. Other than that the motor almost looks new. Any help guys?? This is a bummer. Its all stock too, no mods to engine.:shrug:

buckeye

It's scared of the dark.:shrug:

You say you have to unscrew the gas cap and it runs??

Is the cap venting properly?? But, doesn't make any sense it just happens at night.:shrug:

What is sounds like is a lack of venting on the gas tank.

During the day, the temp may be higher which keeps a slight pressure in the tank.

At night, temps are lower and an excessive vacuum may develop, causing you to have to open the fill, and vent the tank.

Check the seals/vent on the gas cap.

Dee

if its a cali predator it has that valve thing at the top of the tank.. it barely vents at all. thats why u have to open ur cap from time to time to allow gas to flow.
i pryed mine out.. grinded it down until this BB thing fell out ..
then it flowed freely when i blow through it ...

and as u can see, i fill up my tank through that hole now.. easy on and off , and no vapor lock..

Wow, I had no idea there was a metal BB in that part. I have two Cali Predators, one has the breathing problem, the other on my gokart doesn't. Gotta love good ol' Cali for their regulations for every thing in this state.:censure: Its a joke..I pulled out that "box" from the side of the gas tank. I guess that is supposed to make the engine run "cleaner"..? I don't know but I left it out.

Its probably not the best way, but it works now no problem. I took the gas cap and drilled a very small hole through it. Now it works fine, lol Is it easy to take that BB out? That thing looks like it doesn't belong anywhere near an engine.:shrug:

Dee

Easy with a bench grinder !

I also
Deleted all that emission stuff , thats where i mounted my "armed" switch (engine kill relocate)

Easy with a bench grinder !

I also
Deleted all that emission stuff , thats where i mounted my "armed" switch (engine kill relocate)
Nice, looks cool. Also what is that other orange and black box looking thing mounted to your gas tank? I'm curious what that is..:confused:

Dee

Nice, looks cool. Also what is that other orange and black box looking thing mounted to your gas tank? I'm curious what that is..:confused:
its a tachometer... saves your highest RPM until u reset it.. needed for tuning and clutch engagement monitoring when swapping spring rates and such .. also u need the rpm to get the speed calculations . it has a lead that wraps around the spark plug boot, it senses the spark and that shows as RPM'S . I have it velcro'd to my tank.

Mini Bike Speed Calculator (MPH)

tim @ smallenginecams has them.. (tell him dee sent you, he might send u a dvd)

SMALL ENGINE CAMS (310)769-6880 - STORE

:innocent:

Last edited: