Rusty gas tank fix, lazy style!

capguncowboy

Why can't they ship it to California??? :mad2:
Because California has all sorts of stick-in-the-mud regulations. Write your congressman :shrug:

You could always try finding a member that they can ship it to and have them forward the package to you. Someone in Nevada, Oregon or Washington would probably be cheapest. The other option is check Craigslist

that how i do it
If it's not rusted, you can. If it is, I highly recommend Caswell's. I've used several different polymer types of sealants over the years. I don't use them anymore. Caswell's is a two-part epoxy. You can thin it with alcohol, or acetone, and do a couple of tanks at a time. The stuff is good, and the tank doesn't have to be perfect for it to work, unlike the polymer types which require perfect prep and etching.

I soak rusty tanks in my trusty muratic acid bucket. (It's a big bucket- six or seven gallons) After a day, I dump in a handful of sheet metal screws and a half cup of acetone. I rattle them around manually, dump, one more rinse with acetone. Then I seal, then I paint. Not the best way maybe, but it's what I do.

Twid

I put gravel in a sportster tank wraped it up in a blanket so it would not bang aroun in a dryer an ran it for 20 mins the chick was not okay with it but it works every time done a hand full of them now

Last edited:

Gatecrasher

The last one I did I filled the tank with EvapoRust and poured-in a bunch of Daisy BBs. Then I shook it manually for a few minutes and would let it sit. Then after a while go back and shake it some more and let it sit again. Did that for a couple days and it came out looking like new.

It would have been easier with the motorized vibrator.

Last edited: