Shortster by Carter

Does anyone know anything about the Shortster mini bikes made by Carter?
I bought one back in the late 90's and after a year of searching I can't find any info on them. I've only seen 2 others, one was pretty rough and the other looked close to new. It's a pretty nice bike still runs great, just wondering why there aren't any around. I have a blast on mine
Thanks in advance

pomfish

Does anyone know anything about the Shortster mini bikes made by Carter?
I bought one back in the late 90's and after a year of searching I can't find any info on them. I've only seen 2 others, one was pretty rough and the other looked close to new. It's a pretty nice bike still runs great, just wondering why there aren't any around. I have a blast on mine
Thanks in advance
Show us the Bike!
Thanks,
Keith

Harley produced the Shortster for only one year - 1972. Then they made the X-90s from 1973 to 1975. It is kind of strange that for a 1 year bike, the value is low. You are lucky if you can get $1500 for a decent Shortster and the X-90s are worth 3 times that amount. :shrug:

I too have a Shortster minibike by Carter brothers that i bought this summer.I will post pictures of it as soon as i find where on this site i keep my pictures! Where do i go to find my pictures?

buckeye

If it is Carter Brothers out of Alabama the factory burnt to the ground and didn't rebuild. I have a friend that worked for them in R and D. He said they took the insurance money and ran. Pretty much shut down the little town. They were getting ready to introduce a new line of mini or macros. Not quite a mini not quite a dirt bike. So that is my 2 cents. In my photos are a prototype springer forks that he designed. He has more drawings of what he was working on. I have access and when I get to the point that I feel comfortable and have the extra funds, there will be one in my garage. Maybe by the time I'm 80.

Hi Paul,
Yep, looks just like mine. Had to laugh when I saw the pic, I have a dog also and when I first saw your pic I thought " I didn't post a pic yet....." Your dogs color and tail look exaxctly like mine

carter brothers shortster mini bike

i bought one for 500$. its a really nice bike. super fast and powerful. i know they made them for a short time in the 90's but the company went out of business. they are back in business now and if u go on there website they make really nice mini bikes. And there made in the USA!!! But i looked alot and there really hard to find.

Is it a coincidence that you asked about the carter shortster after a year or so since i got mine.just two days ago i got mine running with a new carb,and your right it is a HOSS in the speed and take off.It has a great brake on it too.Whoever designed it was really smart.By the way, mine is up for sale.:laugh:

I remember Kart world was selling those.Model#1006-MX they sold for 1025.00 Estimated top speed 28MPH.I have a Kart world rag from the late 90s, it says they were available only while supplies last.