storage

legmann

How are most of you guys long term storing your bikes? 5 months or so. Usually with my lawnmowing crap i add stabil and run them out of gas and spray fogging oil down the cylinder and into carb then i leave piston and top dead center. With these old mini bikes with metal gas tanks, would this cause the tank to rust inside if i did it like this. Is there something you can put in the tank to absorb moisture while it is sitting empty? I dont like the idea of gas sitting in the carb for so long even with stabil in it. It seems like the carb would just get gummed up. thank s for your responces. :thumbsup:

I put oil on chrome, chains, and anything that can rust, drain carbs completely,

For the gas tank I just leave it empty, if you where worried you could get silca gel desiccant (the stuff in shoes, and rifle cases to rid moisture) They should sell pouches at gander mountain

Im not sure how well it would work, but it keeps my rifles rust free:thumbsup:

I run stabil in my bikes all the time and in the winter I shut the petcocks off and drain carbs. My bikes are stored in my garage and it is heated so It never get below 40 degrees in the garage. If you storing your bike for longer time or in a outdoor shed you can fog inside of tank if your worried about rust.

Here's what's worked for the mower and trimmer I keep in the backyard shed:

I have a 2-1/2 gallon gas can (have to fill it several times per season, but that keeps the gas fresh), I use 2 or 3 times the dose of Stabil called for, and 1/2 a small bottle of STP with every fill of the can. I always add the Stabil and STP at the pump, not later.

I don't drain the tank for winter or anything else. Same mower has been one-pull starting and running smooth since 2001...

I'll take a more responsible approach to my mini...

Ratbike

Here's what's worked for the mower and trimmer I keep in the backyard shed:

I have a 2-1/2 gallon gas can (have to fill it several times per season, but that keeps the gas fresh), I use 2 or 3 times the dose of Stabil called for, and 1/2 a small bottle of STP with every fill of the can. I always add the Stabil and STP at the pump, not later.

I don't drain the tank for winter or anything else. Same mower has been one-pull starting and running smooth since 2001...

I'll take a more responsible approach to my mini...
Yep! dido...

Our bikes are laid up totally dry in the winter. Tanks, hoses, and carbs, are drained and air dried for a couple of days. A light coat of oil is sprayed in the gas tanks and the bikes spend the winter in the house. This routine takes a little more time in the fall but in the spring, it is gas and go. :scooter: