street legal honda trail 70

any one out there know anything about what I would need to make a 1970 Honda trail 70 street legal in new York state? I have no title by the way. I hear you don,t need one for 1972 or before to register the bike

toomanytoys

Not sure about the title in NY. Call your local DMV and ask.

I had a title for mine. No inspections in Ohio. I walked in with my title and walked out with my plates! I was cruising that afternoon.

Same with the ct90.

Does your still have all the lights and horn act in place?

I know some states say certain years don't need them but cops will hassle you anyway so its best to have them.

I have been pulled over 11 times on my black widow made street legal. Seriously a pain. I didn't renew my plates on it.

Street legal

With no title most states will require inspection done by local state patrol,they run vin#'s if not stolen then you can go to license department,apply for title and register it so you can tab it..

New Hampshire is easy. Just make up a bill of sale and walk out with a registration. Then take it to NY and get a registration and title... Thats what I did with my 1978 Trillium camper to get it registered in MA. Where there is a will there is a way.

yes have horn -- lights , no turn signals, I called ny dmv tech #, and they say they any thing Honda before 1977 is not on there moped list. also, I hear in ny , any thing car or bike before 1973 does not need a title. now I think it may have to be done as a regular motor cycle, also being that its over 50 cc . that means inspection and motor cycle license, any thought out there more???? thanks

no. ny goes by top speed if its under 30mph you can register it as a moped. If it does more than 30 regear it temporarily so it does. It will save you trouble in the long run. you take it to a motorcycle shop. they give you a letter saying that the bike does whatever speed it does. That will say the vin # also. you bring an etching and picture of the bike and vin. file for a lost title. as a moped/scooter you dont need inspection or motorcycle licence. you can also insure it through a company like hagerty for cheap insurance since its old

also you dont need a bill of sale. you just say you had it over a year and assembled it fom parts. the vin most lkely wont be in their system if it hasnt been registered in 5 years or so. so they have no record of it as long as the number wasnt reported stolen. that makes it easier for you.

I am getting a lot of mixed stuff on doing this. I have some one telling me that because there is the stiker/label on the frame saying FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY .it cant be registered unless you replace that stamp / decal with one that doesn,t say that. others say this was made as being streetable by Honda from the start. they also say that because it was made originally with out signal lights, you don,t need them. jeep 2003, since you are in ny , ever hear of any of this? thanks!

if it has a serial # and lights that look factory you can do it. just take that sticker off so nobody questions it. A 1970 will be grandfathered in. People usually make the mistake of giving them too much information. Only tell them what they want to hear. If they gie you a hard time go to somebody else on a different day with a different story or another dmv all together. Its not easy dealing with the dmv and its always a run around but we have registered 5 or 6 vehicles without titles and always got through eventually