Street legal Minibikes

toomanytoys

Anyone here running one on the street?

I went this morning and put plates and insurance on my Rupp Blackwidow with an assembled motorcycle title on it.

32 bucks for the plates, and 99 bucks for the insurance for a year, had to put the 300,000/300,000 medical because my employer will not cover motorcycle accidents with our medical coverage. Otherwise the insurance would of been 50 bucks a year.

I got the plates on it, looking at it now wanting to take a cruise around town, but I am about scared half to death! Someone doesn't see me I'm done for.....

Anyone else running a Rupp or anything on the streets? It will do more than the speed limit in town 35mph. Will actually hit 40 with a tail wind :laugh:

Fat Boy

Ride your bike........... it doesn't matter what your doing bad things can happen everywhere so don't let it slow you down ..... Just Do It

I have rode my 71 Coleman 5.30 with a Lifan 125cc for the last two summers around town and on the highway , it runs about 65 top speed . Plates are 10.00 and insurance is 66.00 a year . Been in the building stage for three years and too much fun to ride to tear back down to finish and powder coat .

Last edited:

zeeman

Heck yeah, ride that thing!
Fat Boy, That is a cool camping bike there. I have a 125 Lifan in a Z50 Honda, but it's not wired up yet. Might PM you for help.

just looked at the requirements,I would have to mount my lights higher than my bike is.
taillight needs to be at least 20" and the headlight 24".I guess I need to start a new build for that.

toomanytoys

I took it for about a 4 mile ride around town. Pretty fun, got some funny looks, then I got pulled over. Cop thought I just threw a plate on it and was riding around. After he ran my plate and seen my information he laughed and said he'd never seen anything like that in his life. I think he said something about a bear riding a bicycle...I went on my merry way. Straight pipe screaming. I don't trust the speedometer, so I ziptied my cell phone with "speedview" App running for the speedometer

Previous owner of my bike did all the work. He told me about the process in Ohio. Had to have a horn, tail light, head light, and speedometer. No turn signals or brake light needed. He took all the paper work down to the title office, got it inspected, they issued a vin and title and he was set.

The title actually says

Class: Motorcycle, Assembled
Make: Rupp
Model Blackwidow
Year 1971

Last edited:
I took it for about a 4 mile ride around town. Pretty fun, got some funny looks, then I got pulled over. Cop thought I just threw a plate on it and was riding around. After he ran my plate and seen my information he laughed and said he'd never seen anything like that in his life. I think he said something about a bear riding a bicycle...I went on my merry way. Straight pipe screaming. I don't trust the speedometer, so I ziptied my cell phone with "speedview" App running for the speedometer

Previous owner of my bike did all the work. He told me about the process in Ohio. Had to have a horn, tail light, head light, and speedometer. No turn signals or brake light needed. He took all the paper work down to the title office, got it inspected, they issued a vin and title and he was set.

The title actually says

Class: Motorcycle, Assembled
Make: Rupp
Model Blackwidow
Year 1971
You did this in OHIO?

toomanytoys

I personally didn't do this no.

The previous owner did it in circleville, Ohio. All I know is what I wrote above, about having reciepts for everything, ect ect.

From Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Law:

3. Equipment regulations: State law requires that every motorcycle
operated on public roadways must be equipped with the following:
• At least one, but no more than two headlights
• At least one taillight/brakelight
• A white license plate light
• A horn which can be heard for at least 200 feet
• At least one rearview mirror positioned so that the rider has a clear
view of the roadway behind the vehicle
• Handlebars and grips that are mounted so that they are no more than
15 inches above the seat
• Turn signals on all motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1968
4. Motorcycle passengers: Bucket or bench seats for passengers are illegal.
Riders must be seated astride the cycle, with one leg on either side.
Passengers may only be carried on a firmly attached regular seat.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

PS I like Kellys better than PIB:thumbsup: