Tecumseh 5HP exhaust pipe/muffler

metal man,
I really like the work you have done with the pipe- job well done! :thumbsup:Would you be able to fabricate/weld a fitting on the end of the pipe that could accept a screw-on "hot dog" style muffler? If so, we need to talk!:wink: Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in the job.:scooter:

saw this on the small engine parts website...oem Tecumseh part is only $5.25...wonder if you could weld it to the end of the tube...hard to tell if the size is right....

creia thanks for the complement :thumbsup:
i see no problem doing that . thats what i did on the header i built for jrzmac , just put on a fitting and he threads on his own muffler .

KustomKartKid it was brought up to me that maybe weld a flange on the end of the pipe to bolt one of them mufflers on to . it seems like a good way to make it look a little more like the original . then you can also change it if it blows out , or take it off when on one cares about the noise :scooter:

The tecumseh muffler #730555 works alot better it is a thread in you just cut the tube in the rear not that I have made any just sayin :smile:

ok and where did you get that ? did a search on the part number and came up with nothing . :shrug::shrug::shrug:
and if a person had the wright size pipe couldnt you just tap the inside and thread in the muffler you showed . granted ya need a funky size and a pipe tap

maybe weld a flange on the end of the pipe to bolt one of them mufflers on to . it seems like a good way to make it look a little more like the original . then you can also change it if it blows out , or take it off when on one cares about the noise :scooter:
that sounds good (no pun intended).

..nice work as usual Metal Man :thumbsup:

Well I am glad to see someone took this and ran with it :thumbsup: WTG Metal Man.
I also like the idea of being able to thread in a muffler at the end. I have spark arresters that you screw in, and also they make a flat type screw in that I see everywhere, (of course I cant find a pic) but it is a universal muffler with 1/2 threads, and would look somewhat close. I am not even worried about having them be 100% spot on OEM Repop/ show quality ect... I just want a nice useable exhaust alternative.:thumbsup:

couldnt you just tap the inside and thread in the muffler you showed . granted ya need a funky size and a pipe tap
I also like the idea of being able to thread in a muffler at the end.
Sounding like this is getting somewhere. What would stop the muffler from screwing on all the way off the back of the threads on to the pipe? Wouldn't you have to stop the threading on the muffler before you made a full pass through it?

Or are you guys talking about threading the pipe? I got the impression yall were talking about cutting the flush in the back and threading the muffler itself? :shrug:

Yes Jeff....where do we find these 30 yr. old nos tecumseh parts..?

....perhaps you'd like to share the location of your secret supply house :shifty:
You just have to watch ebay those mufflers come up all the time there are a few on there now. I had got some a while ago from a little old small engine shop that was here.

I checked Super X Power website and it shows the part available $12.45 under the p/n 730555. You might want to call to make sure if you want/need that muffler to ensure it is available. Their phone number is 1-888-294-5156. Good Luck

Sounding like this is getting somewhere. What would stop the muffler from screwing on all the way off the back of the threads on to the pipe? Wouldn't you have to stop the threading on the muffler before you made a full pass through it?

Or are you guys talking about threading the pipe? I got the impression yall were talking about cutting the flush in the back and threading the muffler itself? :shrug:
theres 2 ideas going on this . one is thread the muffler inside the exhaust pipe . so like on a motor .the pipe has threads
and another of cutting the threads off the back of a muffler and welding the pipe on to it . so one piece pipe with a attached muffler .

I think thread the pipe :shrug: That way we have options. If you try to weld mufflers on , you might run out of the type of muffler you use unless you go with some universal type. ???? Just my 2 cents. Either way I still want some :laugh:

I think thread the pipe :shrug: That way we have options. If you try to weld mufflers on , you might run out of the type of muffler you use unless you go with some universal type. ???? Just my 2 cents. Either way I still want some :laugh:
thats kinda what im thinking too at least for now . doing it with a thread on muffler makes it cheaper cost wise and cuts down on parts i have to order . saving shipping on parts you can get local , so saving me some $$$$$ and saving you some $$$$ too , in that you dont have to pay for shipping twice for the same part .

something im going to look into setting up is a flange mount for mufflers like this one

so you could just bolt on a common universal type or a tec one . still going to be a bit till i get to that stage tho , have to get one of them mufflers and make the mounts for it . not sure how thats going to work out ...

ok so got some done on these ....

so what do you think , and yes i know my weld on the flange looks like shit . im tired and didnt feel like dressing it up just yet , will dress it up later .
does this look like what you guys want ? or do you want something changed ?
the other one im working on with the smaller bends would be about the same as this one .
side note this is a hs40 block its bolted to the pipe is 3/4 in inside dia . i have no idea if this will fit the big blocks :shrug:

Nice job metal man!:thumbsup: That will work very nicely on my Tec HS50. Look for a private email tomorrow and I will "discuss" the specifics with you.:wink: