Tecumseh lost spark

I had spark and now its gone:eek:ut: The bike was really. really rusty and I can't even believe it had spark with all of these acorns in the shroud. I put new carb on and fixed muffler etc. Sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it popped.:thumbsup: Then I finished cleaning the tank, mounted, put gas in and nothing.:eek:ut: Not sure when I lost the spark..........probably when it popped is just my guess. As my arm is about to fall off, I checked for spark and nothing. So what happened.? Thanks for any help.

jeep4me

If it has the internal coil, that's behind the flywheel, a couple things could have happened...

1.. there's particles of dirty or metal or rust or acorns that are making contact with the magnets and coil. Effectively grounding the coil out.

B... one of the magnets has come loose and is now stuck to a different area of the flywheel.

Both have happened to me before.

Also check the points for carbon.

capguncowboy

I was so amazed the thing had spark to begin with. :laugh: I just never had any luck with these engines. Oh well.
If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's this: Nothing will ever be as simple as it seems

There's always something that goes wrong somewhere. Just don't move the magneto!

Just took the shroud off "again". Had some spark.:eek:ut: So I blew it out real good in the back with some air and now nothing.:hammer: Maybe it needs a night to sleep on it.:laugh: Could be the aliens:laugh:

capguncowboy

Holy crap! How in the hell did it look like that? Was it buried?

I would suggest pulling it off and having a look at the inside. I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely clogged up

Supposedly the engine was locked up when I bought it. After I cleaned all the acorns and mouse nest out, I couldn't believe it turned over. The magnets can't be totally rusted because it did have spark. I cleaned it up really good with out removing the fly wheel. I just soaked the fly wheel nut with PB blaster so I guess that will be next.

Its hard to believe but it was not that bad behind there. Well, after I dug the acorns out.:laugh: I was cleaning behind the fly wheel best I could with Q-tips and pipe cleaners.:laugh: For the most part, it looks good. Even after I was done poking around back there, I still had spark. Guess I just have to pull the fly wheel.

Supposedly the engine was locked up when I bought it. After I cleaned all the acorns and mouse nest out, I couldn't believe it turned over. The magnets can't be totally rusted because it did have spark. I cleaned it up really good with out removing the fly wheel. I just soaked the fly wheel nut with PB blaster so I guess that will be next.
IS THAT THE SAME ENGINE ?!?!?:thumbsup: