The best way to get tires off a rim?

KB2ROCKET

[MENTION=258]KB2ROCKET[/MENTION] ill definitely be making a wooden jig like that for my bench vise! That gives WAY more sidewall surface to squeeze down on, great idea, thanks for posting.
Also, Motion Pro makes a cheap (5$), small tire spoon that works better than the multiple screwdriver set up that I've used for too many years.
Part number 08-0003. Wish I had seen them at my lawn mower shop years ago.
the reason the board works is because the opposite rim is on the ground if you make a jig for your vice you need to consider that in your design

olddog

Ok here is a subject I feel very strongly about I tried to remove tires from wheels and I pryed on them I tried crushing them in a vice I tried running over the tire with my car I tried heat lubricants I even tried to cut it off but it kept damaging the wheel I had screw drivers and pry bars slipping off and hurting me then I made this tool that is completely self explanatory I used a dinner plate as a template to draw the line and a jig saw to cut it out 10 min.s work and it worked like a dream
I have used the vice forever without issue, but I like this as well.

Is that a Shellac you use on that tool?

Here is what I use. A woodworking vice that is on my welding table. If the tire slips a little you just raise the tab and catch it right up against the rim and keep squeezing. The wider deeper jaws work better than a conventional mechanics vise at compressing the tire. Hasn't failed me yet but I am sure that there will come a time....

I do like the board cut to fit the rim. You could make that work in so many different ways. 2 boards and a threaded rod would pull them together and break the bead.

Doug

Last edited:

Gatecrasher

sawzall the tires as close to the bead as you can then use metal snips to cut the
metal band surrounding the rim.

i tried everything from tire shops to vices, all a no go on a set of kidney beans.
I've found this the easiest way for me to remove stubborn tires from a MT1/KV75 or any other split rim that bolts together.

Especially if the tire has been on there for 30+ years and there is some rust on the inside of the rims.

I usually try to remove it the normal way first by prying it and/or squeezing it off the rim but a lot of times that proves to be futile (and a lot of work too).

So the next step if it won't come off easily is to cut an opening in the tire big enough to get my hand inside with a Dremel tool. Then I take the Dremel with a cut-off wheel on it and cut the metal band in the bead.

The tire just falls off then. The metal band is all that holds these on.

I almost automatically do this for all steel rims but have done it on non-steel too.