The best way to get tires off a rim?

I will be putting inner tubes in my DB30 tires since air likes to leak out of them. I got my inner tubes in the mail today and I can't seem to get these tires off the rim. I used a pry bar and tried to break the bead, but it won't work and I am worried I will bend my rims more or puncture the tire. The tires themselves are half flat as is. I am considering using an air hammer and was wondering if that is a good idea. Does anyone else know a good way to get tires off a rim?

If you have a bench vice use it to squeeze the tire just next to the rim and it will break 1 side. Then put the edge of the rim in the vise jaw as you squeeze the side that is still on the bead. Just took 2 DB30 tires off like this last night. Take your time and use WD-40 to lube the bead. They will come off fairly easy with that.

Doug

sawzall the tires as close to the bead as you can then use metal snips to cut the
metal band surrounding the rim.

i tried everything from tire shops to vices, all a no go on a set of kidney beans.

sawzall the tires as close to the bead as you can then use metal snips to cut the
metal band surrounding the rim.

i tried everything from tire shops to vices, all a no go on a set of kidney beans.
Phil, DB30 stock tires literally fall off the rims unless they have rusted to the rim. I have changed a bunch of them and they are a one man job. Off and on in 2 minutes at the most.

Now I could see the Kidney Beans being an issue to remove.

1971_MB1A

Use a hi-lift jack. Place the tire/wheel on a concrete,plywood,metal plate etc on floor/ground,slide tongue of hi-lift jack in receiver part of trailer hitch on vehicle and jack down and rotate until bead is broken then flip over and do the same to the other side. This usually works fairly well.

Take them to a local full-service lawnmower/small engine repair shop and have THEM do it. Also have THEM reinstall the tires and tubes. DO NOT take them to an automotive tire shop as they do not know how to do it properly (ask me how I know!)
Michael

KB2ROCKET

Ok here is a subject I feel very strongly about I tried to remove tires from wheels and I pryed on them I tried crushing them in a vice I tried running over the tire with my car I tried heat lubricants I even tried to cut it off but it kept damaging the wheel I had screw drivers and pry bars slipping off and hurting me then I made this tool that is completely self explanatory I used a dinner plate as a template to draw the line and a jig saw to cut it out 10 min.s work and it worked like a dream

Last edited:

capguncowboy

I use a small flat pry-bar. I wedge it in between the lip and the rim and rock it back and forth 2-3 times on the bead in different places and it pops right off

I like the cut board above. Very ingenious

Take them to a local full-service lawnmower/small engine repair shop and have THEM do it. Also have THEM reinstall the tires and tubes. DO NOT take them to an automotive tire shop as they do not know how to do it properly (ask me how I know!)
Michael
OMG X2 in that!!!

Thanks everyone! The vice trick worked well for me, but now one of my inner tubes seems to have a small leak in it...time to get some "Fix A Flat".

Ok here is a subject I feel very strongly about I tried to remove tires from wheels and I pryed on them I tried crushing them in a vice I tried running over the tire with my car I tried heat lubricants I even tried to cut it off but it kept damaging the wheel I had screw drivers and pry bars slipping off and hurting me then I made this tool that is completely self explanatory I used a dinner plate as a template to draw the line and a jig saw to cut it out 10 min.s work and it worked like a dream
I love it, no more smashed fingers:thumbsup:

Robertt8883

I use a spray bottle with water and Polmolive dish soap.Then i use Arbor Bench press and slowly work the bead and rotate the tire as needed to break the bead.Woprks every time for me

KB2ROCKET

How fast are you going when you hit that board? 30-40 mph? :laugh:
sorry I forgot to mention that little detail it is important to shock the bead so speed is very important the ideal speed is just under the speed it would require to flip your car also you may want to make sure no immovable objects are near by.
moral of this story you cant be a sissy when working on minibikes
thick skin and good medical insurance is also a plus :blink::001_tt2::clown::laugh:

Thanks everyone! The vice trick worked well for me, but now one of my inner tubes seems to have a small leak in it...time to get some "Fix A Flat".
FIX-A-FAT WILL NOT FIX A TUBE. It will make one hell of a mess.....

You pinched it when you installed it and you will have to remove it to fix it. You need a tube patch not a tire patch. A tire patch will not stretch with the tube but a tube patch will. It has similar properties as the tube and will stretch with the inflation of the tube.

Personally I would say that the cause of your tires going flat would be the valve stems not sealing to the wheel. I would say that 25 percent of the DB wheels I have sold had a loose valve stem that would freely rotate in the rim. More than likely the holes are not all the same size in the rims.

Doug

[MENTION=258]KB2ROCKET[/MENTION] ill definitely be making a wooden jig like that for my bench vise! That gives WAY more sidewall surface to squeeze down on, great idea, thanks for posting.
Also, Motion Pro makes a cheap (5$), small tire spoon that works better than the multiple screwdriver set up that I've used for too many years.
Part number 08-0003. Wish I had seen them at my lawn mower shop years ago.